Talk

Advanced search

Do you have a yoghurt maker?

(29 Posts)
IEvenBurnToast Thu 30-Jan-14 00:43:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Showtime Fri 31-Jan-14 12:58:06

I've the Easi-Yo brand, but found I'm not happy with their packets of yoghurt mix, and use it with my own plain starter and full-fat milk. However, having tried boiling the milk and setting it in a small Thermos jug, I find this easier for small quantities, and rarely use the Easi-Yo containers.
Hope this helps, please ask for more details.

Rooble Fri 31-Jan-14 13:05:32

I have one and used it twice. Not sure what I did wrong, but the yoghurt tasted odd so no one would eat it (actually your post will prompt me to experiment with different kinds of milk).
Doubt this is much help, sorry.....

bruffin Fri 31-Jan-14 13:21:26

I have the Lakeland electric one for at least 10 years and go through phases of using it. I am pleased with the results. I tend to use a plain Total greek yoghurt as a starter and full fat UHT milk.

patchesmcp Fri 31-Jan-14 17:48:57

We've got the Easi yo one too and I do find it good, but like another poster it is something we go through phases with.

I don't think it's much cheaper than buying yogurt but I do think the yogurt tastes lovely.

BoffinMum Fri 31-Jan-14 22:32:43

You don't need to buy a yoghurt maker. It's very easy to make it without one, and it tastes better. I put instructions here.

Home made yoghurt

BumPop Fri 31-Jan-14 23:07:14

Bought easi yo, used it twice and hated it. It tasted processed to me.

I then went through a lentil weaving stage and made my own via pinterest methods. That basically meant boiling milk, adding a couple of tablespoons of natural yoghurt to it, stir then keep it warm for 24 hours. Wonderful results.

I am now the opposite of a hippy type, but still make yoghurt this way. Cheap and yummy. If you want me to dig out links, let me know.

BumPop Fri 31-Jan-14 23:08:11

Or just follow boffinmum's link. blush

cosysocks Fri 31-Jan-14 23:11:27

I use easyo container but not their mixes, far too sweet. I use UHT milk, starter yoghurt and maybe milk powder to thicken. It comes out beautiful.

IEvenBurnToast Sat 01-Feb-14 07:36:49

BoffinMum Sat 01-Feb-14 08:25:07

You can just make it in the bottom of the oven. Gold top milk makes great yoghurt, but you have to scald it first.

UriGeller Sat 01-Feb-14 08:30:29

I've got the severin one. Its used constantly with the last pot and a carton of uht full fat making the next seven. I think you can keep it going like that for a few goes but generally we use a new pot of full fat bio yoghurt every couple of weeks. If you can get full fat Greek yoghurt that makes the really thick creamy stuff. Its my best kitchen gadget grin

IEvenBurnToast Sat 01-Feb-14 08:35:13

IEvenBurnToast Sat 01-Feb-14 08:37:01

TheWomanTheyCallJayne Sat 01-Feb-14 08:44:07

I make it without too
I just boil the milk, let it cool to warm. Mix in a bit of live yoghurt. Stick a lid on and put it somewhere warm. I used to leave it on the side near the aga (bottom oven could be a little too warm) but we moved so now I leave it near a radiator (we don't have an airing cupboard but that's what I used before we had an aga)
It's really that simple.
You can actually keep a bit of the yoghurt you make to make some more

UriGeller Sat 01-Feb-14 08:54:30

Greek I think its just very thick, almost like clotted cream. I don't think the Greeks have dibs on it grin
Sometimes if I use a big pot I get too much mixture to fit in the yoghurt maker so I stick the rest in a jam jar and put it in the airing cupboard. It works just as well (I also prove bread in there) but I like my little machine.

tharsheblows Sat 01-Feb-14 08:55:54

Greek yoghurt is simply strained, I think, so just get a cheesecloth and strain it until it's the right consistency.

I have a yoghurt maker. Like bruffin, it's the Lakeland one and I go through stages of using it. It's easily paid for itself though. We don't have a reliably warm place in the kitchen and I think the yoghurt maker is probably more energy efficient than leaving my electric oven on overnight. But it's one more thing to store!

TheWomanTheyCallJayne Sat 01-Feb-14 08:59:36

Was just thinking I might try the slow cooker tonight. More efficient than the oven and I can do it at night rather than during the day (when the radiators on)

Fibreopticangel Sat 01-Feb-14 09:33:22

My method is to warm full fat milk in a cast iron pan, whisk some of it with a cup of starter yogurt, add that to the pan and whisk.

Then wrap the pan in a thick towel and leave overnight in airing cupboard.

Works every time. As soon as it runs low, I make another batch.

I've found that it's not easy to buy full fat live yogurt locally, so it's for convenience rather than cost - although it costs a lot less than bought ones.

TheProsAndConsOfHitchhiking Sat 01-Feb-14 09:37:01

I didn't know you could make homemade yoghurt or that you can purchase an actual yoghurt maker. I love mn sometimes grin

namelessposter Sat 01-Feb-14 09:43:48

Yup, also make my own, in kilner jars on the radiator. Easy and very satisfying.

really1234 Sat 01-Feb-14 09:44:24

Everyone is referring to full fat products, does it have to be full fat?

roadwalker Sat 01-Feb-14 09:51:29

I have the severin and tried uht full fat milk but it was runny and tasteless
Powdered milk stayed like powdered milk
DC wouldn't eat and I couldn't find a flavour to add that they liked
I would love to use it, any ideas what I was doing wrong?

TypicaLibra Sat 01-Feb-14 09:57:48

Yes, I have a Lakeland one, also have access to fresh (unpasteurised) milk - which I do boil to pasteurise - makes awesome yoghurt, my dcs love it. I add in some skimmed milk powder, and a couple of dollops of natural yogurt, and it's truly delicious.

LegArmpits Sat 01-Feb-14 10:03:26

No.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now