Talk

Advanced search

How to shift really stubborn watermarks/ scale on shower screen?

(42 Posts)
FlamingGallah Thu 23-Jan-14 11:57:33

I need something really hard cord please!

Have got loads of water marks/ limescale all over a vertical glass shower screen. I've tried scrubbing with Cif, Cillit Bang, Lime Lite- still there.

Anyone got anything else to try? The nastier the better, I'm not needing anything gentle and organic made from orange fumes grin

FlamingGallah Thu 23-Jan-14 11:58:01

core not cord

EeyoreIsh Thu 23-Jan-14 11:59:03

I actually find the ecover limescale remover the best.

It's bad and can damage the fittings, but loo bleach with limescale remover also works a treat.

AbouttoCrack Thu 23-Jan-14 12:04:03

I find Calgon good. Is it a glass door type thing or a curtain?

If it's a door get one of those window cleaner squeegie things and swipe the water off after every shower. That helps keep the build up to a minimum too.

FlamingGallah Thu 23-Jan-14 12:16:42

Lovely thank you! It's a rigid glass screen from floor to nearly ceiling.

I'm full of good intentions once it's clean, I have my wiper blade thing all ready!

Queasyrider Thu 23-Jan-14 12:18:29

HG Scale Away
http://www.amazon.co.uk/HG-218050106-Scale-Away/dp/B000IU3W4I
I zapped my shower screen and found it brilliant. I've become strangely addicted to cleaning since discovering it!

DPotter Thu 23-Jan-14 12:21:07

White vinegar works brilliantly on limescale and doesn't rot your skin off (although I admit the smell isn't floral). you can either wipe over the glass with neat vinegar or if its really bad soak kitchen roll and apply to glass and leave it there. doesn't scratch the glass / plastic either. works in kettles, around taps as well.

FlamingGallah Thu 23-Jan-14 12:47:47

Ooh I'm liking the sound of kitchen roll soaked in vinegar! Half the trouble is that the stuff just runs down the screen. Will try ecover one too. I think I've already tried the HG one on a shower head and was a bit disappointed?

FlamingGallah Thu 23-Jan-14 12:49:17

Um..... dumb question here, but is white vinegar the same as white wine vinegar??

WhiteHairReally Thu 23-Jan-14 21:41:01

How about Limescale Remover from Lidl? Blue plastic bottle with a red cap. If the problem is bad, use it neat and use the 'keep it stuck in place with kitchen roll technique' that DPotter suggested.

we live a seriously hard water area and the nice man who comes round to check our water purity levels (we're part of a boarding school) saw I had a bottle of this stuff and said it was the only stuff he used himself - and he's 'water purity person' so he should know!

FlamingGallah Thu 23-Jan-14 22:50:05

Lidl one sounds great, just got to find a lidl now!

Tried white vinegar and it worked brilliantly on hard water ring around plug holes, but couldn't shift my nightmare shower screen marks. Nor could Viakal. Serves me right for letting it get so bad <sigh>

MrsPear Fri 24-Jan-14 18:27:21

Lakelands do a cleaner for a£5 that is brill. Shower away or somesuch

Alwayscheerful Sat 25-Jan-14 00:20:22

50% fairy platinum and 50% white vinegar in one of those refillable washing up scourers on a stick - will make it shine like diamonds.

Alwayscheerful Sat 25-Jan-14 00:21:35

White vinegar is not the same as wine vinegar.

PigletJohn Sat 25-Jan-14 00:38:22

it's possible that the surface has become eroded and will not come shiny. I don't know how that happens, but it does.

I have usually had success with a bathroom cleaner spray, but have used Viakal for visible limescale round taps. Some acid cleaners will take the surface off chrome, so look on the label to see that it says suitable for bathroom use.

whereisshe Sat 25-Jan-14 00:41:04

Barkeepers friend. Amazing on limescale.

PigletJohn Sat 25-Jan-14 00:52:03

"Barkeepers friend. Amazing on limescale"

but it is made of ground pumice, so is abrasive. Doesn't it dull the surface of glass?

DPotter Sat 25-Jan-14 01:02:15

white vinegar is different from white wine vinegar and cheaper.

FlamingGallah Sat 25-Jan-14 07:52:08

More suggestions, brilliant thank you.

It's the glass of the shower screen that is still the problem. I've managed to get the marks off taps and sinks, but the glass still has that speckled look when you catch it at an angle.

I did work out the vinegar thing, thank you! Found some clear vinegar in tescos. Still smells though!

Managed to get some of the lidl stuff so my project for today is to scrub it again!

Suttonmum1 Sat 25-Jan-14 08:04:57

Marking place here as have tried almost all of these and still have samen problem. Also tried a paint scraper, like a stanley knife blade in a holder, also no help.

Have done BKF, viakal, several HG products, vinegar etc etc. Have tested a variety of these side by side, one on each of the 4 panels but in the end none of them really work on my doors.

Rooners Sat 25-Jan-14 08:31:48

Can I just ask if any of these things are suitable to use on an enamel/steel bath?

We have some limescale on ours and I want to clean it off but am scared of damaging the surface as a lot of products warn against using on enamel.

Rooners Sat 25-Jan-14 08:35:50

Oh found the answer!

here

and here

! Sorry for the hijack but wanted to share those.

whereisshe Sat 25-Jan-14 08:42:47

PigletJohn it may well do, but I don't clean very often so I haven't noticed any abrasive effect grin.

Would glass be harder than pumice on mohr's scale though (just musing, not total helpful for the thread)...

whereisshe Sat 25-Jan-14 08:49:00

Ah. Glass is 5.5 on moh's scale, pumice is 6. So yes, with any decent about of elbow grease the barkeepers friend would scratch the glass...

FlamingGallah Sat 25-Jan-14 16:59:10

Well, can confirm that alas, lidl limescale also couldn't clean it off! Grrrrrr. I must have the hardest water or most neglected shower screen in the country!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now