Talk

Advanced search

Can you use a steam cleaner on a karndean floor?

(14 Posts)
Mk4 Fri 10-Jan-14 22:29:57

Does anyone know if you can? Karndean website say no but wondering if this is just a marketing ploy to use their cleaning products.

Elliptic5 Fri 10-Jan-14 22:36:24

I wouldn't, it's supposed to make the glue lift.

Flopsygrowsup Fri 10-Jan-14 22:47:28

No friend had a nightmare

Lovewhereilive Fri 10-Jan-14 22:56:35

I do all the time and never had a problem. How are you supposed to clean it?

planestrainsautomobiles Fri 10-Jan-14 23:09:07

We do it all the time too and its absolutely fine. Karndean actually sell their own cleaning product which you mix with water to use with a mop. You'll definitely get more liquid onto the floor with a mop than a steam cleaner, so had no idea that the glue could lift.

cece Fri 10-Jan-14 23:11:32

I use one on my amtico. It didn't occur to me not to....

kansasmum Sat 11-Jan-14 18:10:30

Oh blimey I do my hall floor which is Karndean, once a week with steam mop and never had any issues! Never occurred to me not to!!

suntodayplease Sun 12-Jan-14 12:45:31

I have antico and was told steam cleaning was a big no no. Scared to try but also tired of mop cleaning...

ohmymimi Sun 12-Jan-14 15:40:12

So that's Karndean and Amtico of my list of potential new floor coverings. Drat.

CosyTeaBags Thu 06-Feb-14 12:09:05

I have a Karndean floor and was wondering the same thing.

Their website says not to. But other people have said it's fine.

Apparently it could melt the adhesive.

The special cleaning fluid they sell is crap. No different to normal cleaning fluid in my opinion.

I desperately want to buy a steam mop, but I'm not going to if I can't use it on the floor, even though it will be good for everything else like windows etc.

Mummaofthreemonkeys Wed 13-May-15 12:17:46

Me too.... Although I have Cavalio flooring...I'm sure its the same principles as others. Website just says PH floor cleaner.

5foot5 Fri 28-Apr-17 13:31:42

Sorry to revive what probably classes as a zombie thread but I just wondered if those who say they use steam mop on a Karndean floor still do it and is it still OK?

About 18 months ago we had Karndean in our kitchen and I have been happily using the steam mop. Now we are about to have our bathrooms done and have chosen Karndean again. However, in the shop I saw the warning about steam mops so obviously was concerned. I did wonder whether it was just a ploy to get people to use their own product.

MyLittleBoyBlue Fri 28-Apr-17 13:37:27

You need a fancy posh steamer that you can adjust the temperature on. I bought a swan one (I think that's the make it was about £70) from pc world and you can set it to dust, mop or scrub. The dust setting is perfect for delicate floors.

Jamesgran Sat 19-Aug-17 23:35:14

Hi! I have had a Karndean floor in my kitchen since 2007 and bought a steam mop when I got the floor! The mop (from Lakeland) and the floor are going strong. I've had no problems. Floor cleans beautifully.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now