Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Dog wee! How can i get rid of the stink?

(16 Posts)
saltire Mon 03-Jul-06 08:07:27

Our old dog (she's 15 bless her) has a slight problem with incontinence. There was often a damp patch in the hall where she had lain. So i started putting he rin the kitchen,
Anyway, i borrowed a friends upright VAX xarpet washer and did the carpets yesterday, but the stink of dog wee is now filling the hall. it's vile, i am almost retching with it, and i have mindees coming today!
There also seems to be a strong smell of it in a corner, where i know she definately hasn't wee'd.
Any advice on how to get rid of the smell would be much appreciated

mummy23 Mon 03-Jul-06 11:16:23

When we used to have our pup, i would use flash (the yellow one) it seemed to get rid of the smell and it was ok to use neat on the carpet, but was hard work finding something to stop her weeing in the same spot!

HTH

themoon66 Mon 03-Jul-06 11:17:21

Fabreez?? I've never tried it, but the advert has a picture of a smelly dog.

Rhubarb Mon 03-Jul-06 11:18:22

Get rid of the dog?

themoon66 Mon 03-Jul-06 11:21:32

Rhubarb!!! Don't be mean about the poor dog. Would you get rid of your old granny if she was sat in a corner weeing on your sofa??

Rhubarb Mon 03-Jul-06 11:21:48

Errr, yes?

themoon66 Mon 03-Jul-06 11:22:42

Was just gonna say 'don't answer that'.

franke Mon 03-Jul-06 11:24:27

When we had a dog I used to blast puddles on the carpet with a soda syphon, worked a treat (that was in the 70s when everyone had a soda syphon though).

2labs Tue 04-Jul-06 09:49:41

mix up a solution of biological washing powder and use that - was recommended to us by a trainer years ago to stop puppies being attracted back to the same place to wee. Some cleaning products make it worse because they contain ammonia.

saltire Tue 04-Jul-06 11:45:28

Funny you saying that 2labs, my mate cleaned it for us and the smell is almost amonnia like!
Might try that

themoon66 Tue 04-Jul-06 12:46:41

On Richard and Judy on Channel 4 yesterday, they were interviewing that woman that does the property ladder programme. Sarah Beany or someone? Anyhow, she has done up loads of old houses and one, she said, had been owned by a lady who kept 48 cats upstairs and the cats' urine had soaked through the floorboards and even the joists. She then went on to say that the smell was taken away completely by some new product that's on the market. I suppose she couldn't mention it by name coz that would be advertising or something. Anyhow, she really praised this 'new product' but didn't say where you could buy it. My guess would be B&Q or other DIY shop.

AdelaideS Tue 04-Jul-06 13:00:09

My vet once told me (and it worked); wipe over the damp patch with surgical spirit, then clean with biological washing powder. Obviously not much help if the whiff is more generalised though.

TwinsetandPearls Tue 04-Jul-06 13:01:34

soda water - it is what the queen uses to clean up after the corgies - although I doubt she does it herself.

shimmy21 Tue 04-Jul-06 13:07:54

or you can buy special 'pet odour remover' -basically neutralises wee smells to dissuade dog from using same place (pet shelf in supermarket). Bio powder a lot cheaper though.

BTW wet wool carpet can smell terrible as we found out last week when dh decided to scrub our wool rug. took a week to dry and get rid of the smell.

JD1981 Sat 09-Sep-06 15:31:13

I HAVE BEEN TOLD WHITE VINIGAR STOPS THEM GOING BACK TO THE SAME PLACE ALSO IF YOU PUT PEPER DOWN IN THAT AREA WHEN THE PUP SMELLS FOR SOMEWHERE TO GO IT MAKES THEM SNEEZ THEY HATE IT APARENTLY I FOUND WITH OUR PUPPY THE BEST WAY WAS TO USE A CARPET CLEANER LOTS GOOD LOOK

Toomuchflab Wed 20-Jun-07 13:48:06

Interesting about the VAX comment further down though, I spend ages vaxing my carpet & it always seems to reek of dog wee even more after - Will have to try the some of these suggestions too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now