Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone ever tried Turkish style towels?

(17 Posts)
Wills Wed 28-Aug-13 23:17:37

If so what are your thoughts? They're sold as the quickest drying thin easy to store lovely solution - but are they?

eightytwenty Wed 28-Aug-13 23:18:32

Nice for the summer. Not when it's cold and dark.

Wills Wed 28-Aug-13 23:45:33

Why? Not soft. I have four kids and one of my biggest bugbears is that by the time i come to have a shower bath most of the towels have either disappeared altogether or have been left sopping wet on the floor. In my experience fluffy towels don't dry well on hooks, but do the Turkish ones?

LaurieFairyCake Wed 28-Aug-13 23:49:00

I have been gradually replacing mine with the hammam ones.

I don't like terry towels or fluffy ones really. I get dried quick and get into nice jammies and don't need to hang about in a towel.

They're thinner, they wash better, they stack better in the cupboard.

Yonihadtoask Thu 29-Aug-13 08:36:49

I had never heard of Turkish towels.

Do they actually dry you well after a shower? They are more like a tea-towel fabric?

Interested to find out - as our fluffy towels do take up so much bloody space - and during the summer drying them is fine, but we have no tumble dryer - so they take ages to dry.

greyvix Thu 29-Aug-13 09:39:32

Following with interest. Turkish towels do look lovely, but seem expensive for what they are, eg White Company, Toast. Are there cheaper ones out there?

LaurieFairyCake Thu 29-Aug-13 11:29:33

They are a slightly thicker cotton than a tea towel with a denser weave so do dry you well.

I've had 1 hand towel in the sale for £3 from the white company, one bath sheet from Toast in the sale for £7 and I've bought a couple from EBay which were £14 each.

When I can afford more I will get them from eBay, they were authentic and good quality - all have lasted well.

Wills Thu 29-Aug-13 12:38:22

Does any one understand the different varieties? There's PESHTEMAL then theres Fouta or honeycomb etc

magimedi Thu 29-Aug-13 13:56:56

Could one of you give a link, please?

Yonihadtoask Thu 29-Aug-13 19:57:13

I was looking at this site

towels

Yonihadtoask Thu 29-Aug-13 19:57:40

But it is in dollars.

forevergreek Fri 30-Aug-13 17:08:00

They are hamman towels. Originally for for when you get out of saunas etc..

Can't see why not, but I like fluffy towels to wrap around after bath.

Perfect for beach though

Beachcomber Fri 30-Aug-13 19:16:18

We have a whole load of them which we bought in Tunisia. They are great. We use them as bath towels, beach towels, picnic rugs, tablecloths (not the same ones obviously!).

They dry quickly, are absorbent, fold up small, look great, wash well, are soft and quite cosy for something made of relatively thin material - what more do you want?

Don't know how much they cost but it might be worth looking online for a North African retailer as we really didn't pay a lot for ours in Tunisia.

starfishmummy Fri 30-Aug-13 23:57:45

We have a couple for beach towels/sarongs. Having them in the beach hut (rented sad) and they are dry for the next day.

ohN0Whatnext Sun 01-Sep-13 18:13:18

They are okay for the summertime - although I'm not a fan of the tassles they all seem to have, but I don't they'd work so well in the European winter. They're too much of a beach towel/sarong kind of thing.

Why don't you buy some IKEA towels - they're not too thick but they are towelling. They dry quickly, look nice and are inexpensive.

dragonslady Sun 27-Dec-15 21:50:26

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

BrendaandEddie Sun 27-Dec-15 21:51:18

ZOMBIE THREAD

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now