Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Do you do certain tasks on certain days of the week?

(16 Posts)
BonaDea Mon 29-Jul-13 03:07:43

My grandmother always did certain chores on particular days of the week (eg bathroom Monday, vacuuming Tuesday; the one that really sticks in my mind was that on Wednesday shed always get the brasso out and clean the silver and brass in her display cabinet).

Do you do this or do a once a week blitz?

ben5 Mon 29-Jul-13 03:42:33

Fridays all the bedding , towels and any other washing that's hanging around gets done. I also give everywhere a quick clean and try and do the weekly food shop

Reastie Mon 29-Jul-13 07:49:19

My Granny always did the same thing - washing on a Friday, dusting on a Monday etc.

I try to have some things on set days as I work part time and it fits in my schedule well and means I get things done or they get left eg thursday is new bedding and friday is new towels, but we're having building works done at the minute so all plans have gone out of the window somewhat.

Frontdoorstep Mon 29-Jul-13 08:09:45

I do children's beds on Tuesday, ours on Wednesday, towels get changed and washed on a Friday, other washing gets done every day, other than that I just do things anytime really.

I don't remember my granny doing household jobs on set days of the week but I do remember her eating the same things on set days of the week, I remember Wednesday was always fish.

Jan49 Mon 29-Jul-13 08:47:34

I don't have any chores that I do on set days. I don't have a once a week blitz either.blush I kind of do things when necessary.

When I was a child, Monday was always wash day. I wonder whether people nowadays with washing machines actually spend longer dealing washing as they put everything in the wash so much more frequently and end up sorting out washing constantly. In my childhood home it was a couple of hours of hard work on a Monday then hung to dry for a day or so and that was it for the week.

BonaDea Mon 29-Jul-13 12:10:22

Frontdoor - snap. My grandma did that too. Same meals on same days and ALWAYS fish on a Wednesday!!

Reastie Mon 29-Jul-13 15:01:53

I thought fish was suppose to usually be Fridays!

Frontdoorstep Mon 29-Jul-13 16:07:57

Reastie, the fish van came round on Wednesdays, that why fish day was Wednesday.

Vivacia Mon 29-Jul-13 18:34:41

Fish on a Friday, laundry on a Monday (because it was a big job and you could use Sunday leftovers rather than have to cook properly).

ceeveebee Mon 29-Jul-13 18:38:40

Towels on a Saturday, as we go swimming and so chuck all the towels in. Bedding on a M

ceeveebee Mon 29-Jul-13 18:40:15

Towels on a Saturday, as we go swimming and so chuck all the towels in. Bedding on a Monday as I'm off work (work Turs- Fri). Batch cooking on a Sunday. Laundry every day though as have two young DCs. We have a cleaner who does the main cleaning once a week though.

Finallygotaroundtoit Mon 29-Jul-13 18:40:48

My DM had set days for chores and set meals for each day of the week.

She & DDad would always go shopping on Sat morning - both wheeling tartan shopping bags - and saw no reason to change when he retired.

They also had coffee at 10.30 and tea at 3pm come hell or high water

ShatnersBassoon Mon 29-Jul-13 18:42:20

Ironing is always done on Sunday evening, during Countryfile and Antiques Roadshow.

starfishmummy Mon 29-Jul-13 19:33:31

No. But I am totally disorganised and we live in chaos.....

whenwilltherebegoodnews Mon 29-Jul-13 20:43:27

I would love to have some kind of weekly chore routine but DH works shifts which makes it impossible. I am super productive when he's on a normal day shift and nothing gets done when he's on nights.

Well that's my excuse for our house generally being a shit tip sad

HoneyStepMummy Mon 29-Jul-13 20:46:04

I do- well sort of! My life is so busy that I would never get anything done if I wasn't organized. Sunday evenings I do my nails and sort my handbag for the week. I jot down in my day planner what appointments need to be made and make sure I have a couple of outfits put together to get a through at least a couple of days at work.
Mondays I pay any bills that are due, check accounts etc., file paperwork/bills, make appointments...quite boring!
Tuesdays I give my plants Miracle grow. Put clean laundry away.
Wednesday I give the house a bit more of a clean than out usual daily tidy up, I'll spray the shower and mop the floors.
Thursday- nothing. I'm either out or knackered.
Friday- start on laundry.
Saturday & Sunday- Clean house, do laundry, grocery shop. Do some juicing so I have juice for the week.
We clean up a bit every day, and I try to find the time to work out, swim, run or do some other exercise after I get home around 7pm. Busy!
We also

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now