Talk

Advanced search

Can I connect dishwasher to outside tap through the catflap?

(13 Posts)
jenni75 Tue 09-Jul-13 23:16:41

Hi, just wondering if it would be possible to connect my dishwasher to the outside tap, through the catflap on the back door, the connector fits the outside tap, and i know I would need to put the waste pipe into a bucket or something, what do you think, don't want to flood my kitchen!

peggotty Tue 09-Jul-13 23:18:55

Er, why? It would be better to just get it plumbed in properly surely. And will noone think of the poor cat! grin

jenni75 Tue 09-Jul-13 23:25:54

Hi pegotty, thank you for replying, no space for dishwasher near sink, and would be a big job to plumb it in properly, so thought I had come up with an ingenious plan! My cat doesn't use cat flap anymore, let it in and out :-)

OneLaundryBaskettoRuleThemAll Tue 09-Jul-13 23:50:26

Sounds like a cunning plan to me.

jenni75 Wed 10-Jul-13 09:52:00

Just thinking, would i need to attatch some sort of stop valve thingy onto outside tap though ?

PestoSwimissimos Wed 10-Jul-13 10:03:50

Imagine having the cat flap wedged open all the time though... Espcially in winter shock

mrsminiverscharlady Wed 10-Jul-13 10:12:53

I think the main issue would be draining it into a bucket. I think the chance of flooding your kitchen at some stage if the hose gets knocked out (maybe by the cat?! grin) are pretty high. Not to mention the hassle of having to lift and empty a heavy bucket of water.

Is there really no cupboard near the sink that you could remove and put a dishwasher in? Even a slimline one?

LuisSuarezTeeth Wed 10-Jul-13 10:15:53

Better to drain straight to a drain IYSWIM

jenni75 Wed 10-Jul-13 10:48:32

Thank u all for replying! There is a slimline cupboard next to underneath sink cupboard, so it could get knocked out, but I rent, so don't think i could do that, a good idea though :-)

May09Bump Wed 10-Jul-13 12:58:29

what about a countertop one - then you can drain directly into the sink. They are only small - but do the job, I think we had a zanussi one years ago. You could also approach the landlord for permission to remove the cupboard and then put right at the end / leave the dishwasher in situ (if you can afford that).

Renting is a pain sometimes!

jenni75 Wed 10-Jul-13 15:28:31

Update! - I have rigged it up outside (in case of flood!) and it is on a wash as we speak! See what happens :-)

jenni75 Wed 10-Jul-13 20:08:21

It worked fine! Will just need to replace water hose, as their is a nick in it, will get one a bit longer if I can.

motherofvikings Thu 11-Jul-13 14:51:41

Jenni - the pipes will probably freeze in winter. Our old one went out an old tumble dryer vent and connected to the outside waste pipe IYSWIM. When the temperature dropped the waste pipe froze and the dishwasher couldn't drain.

I would seriously rethink your plan for the winter months! confused

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: