Talk

Advanced search

Drowning in domesticity- aaargh!

(11 Posts)
006 Fri 02-Jun-06 15:47:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PrettyCandles Fri 02-Jun-06 16:02:19

Tips from the Slobby:

Save the washing-up and so it all gets done in one go after supper.

Wear jersey-type fabrics so you don't have to do so much ironing. Use 50/50 cotton/polyester percale sheets - they feel like cotton but don't need ironing.

Strategies with children are less clear-cut: it depends on their temperaments. We have a playroom so generally I don't let them bring toys into the living room (one room less to tidy). Toys in the cooking part of the kitchen are an absolute no-no. Also in the entrance hall/corridor. I encourage them to tidy up, and praise them for any tidying-up that gets done, especially if it's done without my asking. Any cluttery toys, like Lego, get tidied up (with my participation if necessary) before the next toys come out, though I'm not so fussy about other toys with fewer bits. Things like train track may be left out for several days once constructed.

Shopping: when I've had enough, dh does it in the evenings. But TBH I'd rather have him at home (doing the dishes ), so try not to ask him. There's always internet shopping - it takes longer at first, but once you've shopped a few times you can reuse previous shopping lists. We've also just started getting veg and fruit box deliveries - nice, but not quite convinced yet.

As for moaning - all I can say is 'get on with it!' The moaning, I mean. Of course you're entitled to moan! To us, anyway. I try to avoid moaning at my children (partial success) because it's not really their fault.

BTW you think you stopped working? Naa - just stopped being paid for it.

006 Fri 02-Jun-06 16:10:11

BagelBird Fri 02-Jun-06 16:13:58

Wash, dry, fold as soo as dry and put away - from now on, only iron the bare minimum such as work shirts, you will be amazed by the amount of time you will save.
Cook double batches so that you can freeze and reheat next week - every other week you only need to reheat and prep fresh veggies. Saves loads of time.
At the end of a meal, make it a family rule for each child to help pass the plates over and load dishwasher, so much quicker if everyone pitches in (even tinies can carry their own spoon over)
Internet food shop - time saving, money saving, stress saving genius.
Buy one of those collapsable fabric bin things for each child’s room (ifthey are 2 or older). When tidying up after them, bung everything unbreakable in there - quick tidy room and then you can get them to put their own things away in little batches - eg 10 things from the bin and put away before bed.. we have an extra star on the star chart if their bins are empty and room tidy after bathtime.
Insist they pack their own school bags bf bed at night (if school age) and to lay out school uniform. No more hunting that library/reading book/choosing a show and tell item etc etc in the mad rush of the morning

I also agree about the moaning - DO IT and feel good about it!!

PrettyCandles Fri 02-Jun-06 16:23:04

Try not doing so much? The dust doesn't get much worse after a week or two - I don't think it makes much difference whether I dust or hoover every week or every month (in practice 3 or 4 times a year! ).

Just accept it? With 3 under 6 I don't think it's possible to have a really tidy house, not unless you either have a cleaner or are the sort of person who truly enjoys housework and can make it a fun activity for the children.

My point of view is that, like you, I'm an educated woman who stopped working (in the career sense) in order to look after our children. My priority is to bring up the children, not the house.

Though I do have to keep repeating that to myself when I get miserable about tidyness and the fact that I find housework so deeply unsatisfying.

kitegirl Fri 02-Jun-06 16:32:50

006 that could have been me posting! I am so with you - it is non stop. I consider myself to be organised (I have a myriad of systems and storage solutions...) and even dare I say disciplined when it comes to housekeeping, but the house is still always in a god-awful state. DS just started nursery 2 days a week so that I can do an OU course but those 'free' days so far have been consumed by, you guessed it, tidying up, running errands, loading and unloading dishwasher/washing machine, putting away crap that gets deposited everywhere. And no my standards are not that high either. I was less knackered when I was working full time. I am just waiting for the kids to be old enough to be roped in, and then I will start ruling with an iron fist...

006 Fri 02-Jun-06 16:43:08

006 Fri 02-Jun-06 16:44:35

PrettyCandles Fri 02-Jun-06 16:45:17

I use melamine - pretty to look at, dishwasher-safe and virtually unbreakable .

006 Fri 02-Jun-06 16:52:16

SSSandy Fri 02-Jun-06 20:14:59

I know EXACTLY how you feel. No advice though.

All I can say is thank goodness I've started taking tennis lessons, it's the highlight of my week. I put on Russki Berlin Russian radio when I'm doing the housework so I can kid myself I am actually activating my brain learning whacky Russian hiphop while I'm scrubbing toilets and floors. I only iron when I'm watching French tv for the same reason.

Housework is such a drudge and the worst of it is even though you are at it all the time, your place is never clean and tidy. It's a mystery all right.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: