Talk

Advanced search

Does anything remove lily pollen stains?

(20 Posts)
handlemecarefully Thu 01-Jun-06 22:40:30

3 items of clothing blighted with the bloody stuff....

as an aside I mentioned to somebody "I'll never have lilies in the house again" and she pointed out that next time all I need to do is cut off the stamens. I felt a bit thick because this had never previously occurred to me. Would it have occurred to you?

Lact8 Thu 01-Jun-06 22:43:57

It occurs to me but never actually get round to doing it. Usually chuffed if i've managed to get them in a vase

I got some on the sleeve of a new white top and it looks like baby poo!

handlemecarefully Thu 01-Jun-06 22:45:20

lol at your modest expectations (about being chuffed at getting them into a vase), I know exactly what you mean

Norah Thu 01-Jun-06 22:45:50

Get them hung out in the sun ! Seriously - the sun will bleach it out ! I've done it zillions of times - and I hate the look of stamenless lilies - spoils them imho !

hana Thu 01-Jun-06 22:46:30

I usually cut them off - only staarted after some nasty stains
love their scent

Aero Thu 01-Jun-06 22:46:57

Yes - I always remove the stamen from lilies. Not only do they stain, but they can also be harmful to cats and we have two.

TheMammy Thu 01-Jun-06 22:55:04

If you haven't rubbed it in, a bit of sellotape stuck over the top of them and pulled should get out most of them

Norah Thu 01-Jun-06 22:55:49

Oh and Vanish stain stick helps a lot too !

I've got two cats and always have lillies in the house with stamens intacto - so far no probs and cats are nine ! Never heard that was a problem before !

Aero Thu 01-Jun-06 23:05:58

Article here re lilies and cats.

Aero Thu 01-Jun-06 23:08:46

I received delivery flowers recently and was pleased to see they had a warning on the box. I didn't know about it until fairly recently, and certainly not before we got the cats.

entropy Sat 24-Jun-06 17:55:22

Would anyone have any suggestions on how to remove lily pollen stains from the cream roof of you DH's car? (his pride and joy car...) I went on maternity leave yesterday and work bought me a big bunch of flowers. DH gave me a lift home and I lifted them a little bit too high trying to get them out of the car

Need suggestions fast or I might not survive until my due date!!

southeastastra Sat 24-Jun-06 18:45:38

sellotape usually works, my sister had it all over her wedding dress, she freaked, but it worked.

entropy Sat 24-Jun-06 20:14:35

Sellotape worked really well! Thanks Southeastastra. There is still a little stain but its really really faint and he can't see it from the drivers seat. I might live long enough to become a mummy now

TheLadyVanishes Sat 24-Jun-06 20:16:39

another one for sunlight, i have a white t-shirt which got covered in the stuff and i kept washing it and hanging it out, eventually it disappeared and it wasn't until reading another thread that i realised it was sunlight that got rid of it

Coolmama Mon 26-Jun-06 09:09:02

the most crucial thing is not to rub, brush or try to flick it off - the faster you can get the sellotape on it, the better - once it's rubbed in, it's an absolute bugger to get rid of.

marcopuffin Thu 12-Apr-12 22:26:23

Thank you - you've just saved my new linen curtains! Sellotape is the business smile

Gazelda Wed 25-Oct-17 12:19:18

The best thread I’ve ever read! Sellotape saved my new top.

Which was lucky as I’d just been having a go at DD who doesn’t look after her things properly. She’d have given me ‘the look’ if she’d seen how I ruined a top through carelessness!

Jarstastic Mon 01-Jan-18 22:56:29

I got some on a jumper at the weekend, shook off, chucked half a capful of Ace on it and washed in the machine (at 30 degrees with persil silk and wool) and it came off.

josephine1947 Wed 04-Jul-18 10:22:23

I am much too old for Mumsnet but had to join to say Thank You for the wonderful idea of using sellotape on Lilly pollen. It has completely saved my favorite shorts. A completely brilliant idea. Of course best action would be to cut off the stamens before they get anywhere near clothes. Thank you,Thank you!

juliam63 Mon 10-Sep-18 14:08:38

As the lady above I am also probably too old for mumsnet but was delighted when I tried the selloptape to get lily stains out of my curtains! It’s fabulous and works a dream! My husband was in the dog house up until then as he’d closed the curtains without moving the flowers! We won’t be getting divorced now, thank you!!grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: