Talk

Advanced search

Does anything remove lily pollen stains?

(17 Posts)
handlemecarefully Thu 01-Jun-06 22:40:30

3 items of clothing blighted with the bloody stuff....

as an aside I mentioned to somebody "I'll never have lilies in the house again" and she pointed out that next time all I need to do is cut off the stamens. I felt a bit thick because this had never previously occurred to me. Would it have occurred to you?

Lact8 Thu 01-Jun-06 22:43:57

It occurs to me but never actually get round to doing it. Usually chuffed if i've managed to get them in a vase

I got some on the sleeve of a new white top and it looks like baby poo!

handlemecarefully Thu 01-Jun-06 22:45:20

lol at your modest expectations (about being chuffed at getting them into a vase), I know exactly what you mean

Norah Thu 01-Jun-06 22:45:50

Get them hung out in the sun ! Seriously - the sun will bleach it out ! I've done it zillions of times - and I hate the look of stamenless lilies - spoils them imho !

hana Thu 01-Jun-06 22:46:30

I usually cut them off - only staarted after some nasty stains
love their scent

Aero Thu 01-Jun-06 22:46:57

Yes - I always remove the stamen from lilies. Not only do they stain, but they can also be harmful to cats and we have two.

TheMammy Thu 01-Jun-06 22:55:04

If you haven't rubbed it in, a bit of sellotape stuck over the top of them and pulled should get out most of them

Norah Thu 01-Jun-06 22:55:49

Oh and Vanish stain stick helps a lot too !

I've got two cats and always have lillies in the house with stamens intacto - so far no probs and cats are nine ! Never heard that was a problem before !

Aero Thu 01-Jun-06 23:05:58

Article here re lilies and cats.

Aero Thu 01-Jun-06 23:08:46

I received delivery flowers recently and was pleased to see they had a warning on the box. I didn't know about it until fairly recently, and certainly not before we got the cats.

entropy Sat 24-Jun-06 17:55:22

Would anyone have any suggestions on how to remove lily pollen stains from the cream roof of you DH's car? (his pride and joy car...) I went on maternity leave yesterday and work bought me a big bunch of flowers. DH gave me a lift home and I lifted them a little bit too high trying to get them out of the car

Need suggestions fast or I might not survive until my due date!!

southeastastra Sat 24-Jun-06 18:45:38

sellotape usually works, my sister had it all over her wedding dress, she freaked, but it worked.

entropy Sat 24-Jun-06 20:14:35

Sellotape worked really well! Thanks Southeastastra. There is still a little stain but its really really faint and he can't see it from the drivers seat. I might live long enough to become a mummy now

TheLadyVanishes Sat 24-Jun-06 20:16:39

another one for sunlight, i have a white t-shirt which got covered in the stuff and i kept washing it and hanging it out, eventually it disappeared and it wasn't until reading another thread that i realised it was sunlight that got rid of it

Coolmama Mon 26-Jun-06 09:09:02

the most crucial thing is not to rub, brush or try to flick it off - the faster you can get the sellotape on it, the better - once it's rubbed in, it's an absolute bugger to get rid of.

marcopuffin Thu 12-Apr-12 22:26:23

Thank you - you've just saved my new linen curtains! Sellotape is the business smile

Gazelda Wed 25-Oct-17 12:19:18

The best thread I’ve ever read! Sellotape saved my new top.

Which was lucky as I’d just been having a go at DD who doesn’t look after her things properly. She’d have given me ‘the look’ if she’d seen how I ruined a top through carelessness!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now