Talk

Advanced search

How do you know what to do?

(9 Posts)
Steala Thu 01-Jun-06 12:48:06

Inspired by this topic and intrigued by a number of threads, I have been on a bit of a blitz armed with How Clean is your House?. I am horrified to find places that I genuinely had no idea needed cleaning and I am disgusted by the state of some parts of my house. The extractor fan above the hob is a particularly shameful example.
I have never been particularly house proud but did think that the mess was a conscious act of laziness. Now I realise that there are parts of my house that are filthy simply because I had no idea that anything was expected.
Examples are:
Dusting picture rails/door frames;
Washing (as opposed to dusting) skirting boards;
washing paint work other than obvious finger prints;
cleaning the washing machine (the soap dispenser was upsetting);
Lampshades;
Curtains;
tiles;
cupboard doors.
I thought I knew the basics - kitchen surfaces, hob, oven, microwave, fridge, bathroom - everywhere (except tiles - didn't know about that), floors - sweep, mop, hoover etc, light switches, dusting everywhere visible (which is why picture rails never occurred to me). I'm now paranoid that I'm missing some very obvious things and visitors are going to be justifiably appalled.
Can anyone recommend a book? Needs to be basic - ie store flour in glass jars not in a bag rolled down - etc. Alternatively, can anyone suggest areas I may have missed? Be as obvious as you like. I won't feel patronised - just grateful.
I am embarrassed to admit to all of this but decided it was better to come clean (excuse the pun) and ask for help rather than fester!

Thanks!

Steala

JessaJam Thu 01-Jun-06 12:51:34

I would be worried if my visitors started clambering on my furniture in order to examine my picture rails...likewise with teh tops of door frames...worried for them that is not me!!

JackieNo Thu 01-Jun-06 12:53:14

Not read it, but looked on Amazon and came up with this which is from Good Housekeeping, so ought to be pretty good. No reviews of it, though, so difficult to tell. You could try Fly Lady which sends you emails (lots) and is rather american, but is also free!

sugarfree Thu 01-Jun-06 12:54:38

I do the picture rails when I decorate a room or its Christmas and I do it with the little brush thing on the hoover.
Actually I do almost all dusting with the brush on the hoover.Even the telly.

Twiglett Thu 01-Jun-06 13:08:20

you're mad

put down the book and step away

foxinsocks Thu 01-Jun-06 13:10:25

who washes their skirting boards?

seriously, unless your house is going up for sale, there must be better things to do with your time than washing the paint work and dusting picture rails.

your house sounds clean and tidy

TheMammy Thu 01-Jun-06 13:30:02

I don't have any skirting boards!!! Or door frames!!! I rally must call the joiner this week

I clean the top of picture frames when they are hung up for the first time, and if I have any really tall visitors coming. I am only 4ft 10" so It's not like I can see any of the dust and dirt up high is it? LOL

Cappucino Mon 05-Jun-06 14:26:52

there's this book for men - it's very basic (as it's for men)

but it doesn't mention any of this skirting board malarkey

I used to dust the door frames when we were using solid fuel but it only gets done once a flood now

my philosophy is - keep the floor clean, since that's where my kids are most of the time

TheLadyVanishes Mon 05-Jun-06 18:52:35

I used to work in a hotel as a chambermaid in my younger days and I honestly don't clean my house as good as I cleaned the hotel which is embarrassing. I was once made to clean the cobwebs on the outside windows then wash them down!!!

I've now decided to do a rota as I hooved my stairs today coz we couldn't see the colour of the carpet for dust!! hoovering should be done every week as well as washing down paintwork (prevents the build up of dust mites) I even hoovered my mattress when changing the bedding today

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: