Talk

Advanced search

underwired bras,do you hand wash your??

(40 Posts)
brimfull Sun 28-May-06 18:23:58

I only do if it's an expensive one ,have just washed a few,royal pita! Am I a mug,should I just chuck them in the machine?Does it ruin them?

expatinscotland Sun 28-May-06 18:24:48

yes. with that lavender wool mix stuff from Lakeland.

you can wash them in one of those mesh lingerie bags at 40 degrees, too.

Twiglett Sun 28-May-06 18:25:05

have never hand-washed a bra in my life

all mine are underwired

and pretty expensive (a la Rigby & Peller)

Lilymaid Sun 28-May-06 18:26:55

Life's too short to handwash. But I would suggest you stick the bra into one of those zipped net washing bags before putting it in the machine. If (and it does happen) the wiring comes out during the wash, it will damage the machine and you'll have to wait in/ pay up for a call out.

lorina Sun 28-May-06 18:39:13

I use a lingerie bag from lakeland and just shove them in the wash. It probably does shorten their life but it seems a fair compromise!

Gloworm Sun 28-May-06 18:40:32

put in a net bag in the machine

FrannyandZooey Sun 28-May-06 18:41:26

Blimey, are we supposed to? Mine tend to go at the back before anywhere else, as I am always tugging them down for some reason. Never noticed them suffer from being machine washed.

hulababy Sun 28-May-06 22:20:11

All mine go straight in a normal wash load. I don't do hand washing, full stop!

MarsLady Sun 28-May-06 22:21:29

Nope!

bunny3 Sun 28-May-06 22:21:50

straight into machine. recently though I was advised by lingerie woman in Beales to take them in the bath with me as they only need "a little rinse"! I still chuck em in the machine though

controlfreaky2 Sun 28-May-06 22:27:13

yukitty yuk bunny!!
life is def too short to handwash anything.
is this whole housekeeping topic so edgy??

suejonez Sun 28-May-06 22:57:16

I have a zen approach to clothes - everything goes in the machine. Anything which shrinks obviously wasn't meant to be mine and is recirculated into the universe (aka cloth bank at dump)

Caligula Sun 28-May-06 23:00:00

OK I'm the Stepford wife of the thread. I always handwash, since reading here, on Mumnset, that a machine wash is the equivalent in terms of wear and tear, of 50 handwashes.

I am a very credulous person when it comes to domestic stuff and will believe anything.

controlfreaky2 Sun 28-May-06 23:03:53

really caligula??
right then. housework is v v v bad for your mental health and excessive housework / interest in housework issues will shorten your life expectancy by 18%.
believe it.

acnebride Sun 28-May-06 23:09:39

we're all supposed to handwash bras and tights. This answers the eternal question of what people did with their lives before TV and the Internet. I guess they used to be relatively even more expensive in terms of people's income than they are now. I do have one friend who darns her tights. [Hushed respect emoticon]

Caligula Sun 28-May-06 23:17:08

controlfreaky2 Sun 28-May-06 23:18:11

now i know you are not stepford wife. they have no sense of humour!

sallystrawberry Sun 28-May-06 23:18:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

brimfull Sun 28-May-06 23:41:55

Ok that's the last time I hand wash a bra.You've all convinced me that my stepford wifey moment this afternoon was a complete buggery waste fo time.

Caligula Sun 28-May-06 23:51:48

But what about that 50 x equivalent thing? Was that a total load of baloney? On Mumsnet, my bible of life?

thewomanwhothoughtshewasahat Mon 29-May-06 00:53:04

everything in the machine for me. Although I have noticed that M&S t-shirt bras (for which read padded but I'd rather not admit it: unlike my mum who declared with glee "ooo I've got those bras...great aren;t they etc etc) get cellulite after a while.

essbee Mon 29-May-06 02:03:22

Message withdrawn

alexsmum Mon 29-May-06 02:18:23

gggrl- i would stick with handwashing them.
i bought some nice ones the other week from bravissimo.one day i couldn't be bothered handwashing so chucked one of them in the machine-only a 40 degree wash, and it melted! all round the wires went all black and burnt and the fabric was all ripped.nearly 30 quid down the drain.
i'm handwashing from now on!

Caligula Mon 29-May-06 13:38:04

Blimey. Bad enough if you get cellulite yourself, but when your clothes start doing it...

ggglimpopo Mon 29-May-06 13:53:41

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: