Talk

Advanced search

what do you do with wet towels after your shower?

(64 Posts)
SlightlyItchyBraStrap Mon 10-Jun-13 11:08:42

I don't want to wash them after only one use. If there's room on the bathroom rail I hang mine there, or over a door, or outside in good weather.... No real system, and I usually forget to fetch it and then we have several "in use" towels floating around the house!

Does anyone have a system that is easy for the whole family to use and actually works??

SugarandSpice126 Mon 10-Jun-13 11:10:00

On radiators in bedroom, even if not on at the moment

GobblersKnob Mon 10-Jun-13 11:13:43

We have two enormous towels in use for all of us, and one hand towel.

Hand towel gets washed every two or three days.

Bath towels last about 5 days, in the winter they go on the bathroom radiator to dry, in the summer they get hung over the stair banister.

I hate it when there are more towels 'in use' as I don't know when they were fetched out or used, am very strict with towels, would quite like them in a locked cupboard grin

ilovepowerhoop Mon 10-Jun-13 11:15:06

mine and dh's hang on a the towel rail in the en-suite shower room. DD and ds's live on a radiator towel rail in the bathroom (the towel rail hooks onto the radiator and holds 2 towels)

EuroShaggleton Mon 10-Jun-13 11:15:59

We have a towel each and a hook each.

MerryMarigold Mon 10-Jun-13 11:21:10

We have a towel each. Kids have one of those things that hang over the radiator in their rooms to hang theirs on. I hang mine on banister. Dh hangs his on bathroom rad. We wash them about once a month blush. I figure they are clean when they are using them!

LackaDAISYcal Mon 10-Jun-13 11:26:14

I have my own towels that I hang on the bedroom radiator or over a door and change once a week.

DH's goes on the bathroom radiator and is used by DS1 too. <shudder> but they don't seem to mind!

DD and DS2 have their own hooded towels that tend to get washed after every use.

FriskyHenderson Mon 10-Jun-13 11:27:49

We have a towel each, and use a combination of heated towel rail, bannisters and free standing wooden towel stander-oner thing to dry after each use. Get washed once a week, handtowels and flannels more often honest

MerryMarigold Mon 10-Jun-13 11:28:37

Wow, Daisy <waves>. Impressed at your housewifely skills. Every day!!!!

Pascha Mon 10-Jun-13 11:32:28

They go on the heated towel rail. After about 3 uses they go in the washing.

ExitPursuedByABear Mon 10-Jun-13 11:34:45

Mine goes on the radiator in the bedroom, DH's on the towel rail in the bathroom. And dd piles them in a heap on her bedroom floor. 11 once!

LackaDAISYcal Mon 10-Jun-13 11:36:04

HAHA MerryM; I said after every use, which is a whole lot different from every day blush I am quite lax on the washing of small children due to their eczema so it can be weeks days between baths.

MerryMarigold Mon 10-Jun-13 11:37:37

Oh, ok! Feel better...thanks.

KatyTheCleaningLady Mon 10-Jun-13 11:39:16

Towel rack, banister on upstairs landing, and radiators. Like you, OP, we often forget to retrieve them and have several towels floating around.

BTW, when I've decided a towel is "done" and ready to go into the laundry, I will use it to wipe down the bathroom. First the shower/tub, then the sink, and then the toilet top, lid, seat, then rim. Then it's ready to wash and my bathroom looks good.

lollylaughs Mon 10-Jun-13 11:39:52

Either on the towel rail, over the shower door or over the edge of bath... no set place grin. Outside on the line if I could be bothered.

Exit I have put a fine system in place for the dc's now.... If I find a towel on the floor of their rooms then they have to pay a fine... Amazingly the worst culprit was ds and he has hung his towel up every time. Dd, er not so much, she been fined a few times now...

elfycat Mon 10-Jun-13 11:40:43

We have a towel rail in the shower room (on the radiator system and can be heated separately) and when finances allow will do the same to the one on the bathroom. DH and I have bath sheets that go over this.

The DDs' towels go on the back of the door. Washed about weekly.

PostBellumBugsy Mon 10-Jun-13 11:42:13

Have towel rails and pegs in the bathroom. DCs know that it is not worth the descent of the red mist to leave them anywhere other than the rail or the pegs. Rail & pegs are all by the radiator to help with winter drying.
All get laundered once a week. Only one bath towel per person at any one time! grin

BabyRuSh Mon 10-Jun-13 11:43:11

We have our own towels. They're all different colours and hung up in the bathroom after use on hooks.

Corriewatcher Mon 10-Jun-13 11:50:54

Now we've switched our heated towel rails off as it's (sort of) summer, I pop ours in the airing cupboard to dry off. Find they can start to smell a bit if just left to hang around wet for ages.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Mon 10-Jun-13 11:51:41

Myself and DH hang ours on hooks in our bedroom. DD does the same; DS1 uses whatever happens to be in the bathroom, and DS2 accumulates then in his bedroom. Grabs a fresh one from the airing cupboard every time, I think - despite me declaring that each person is to keep his or her towel in their room.

I did once see a suggestion in Good Housekeeping or Country Living mag, which was to sew a different-coloured ribbon 'hook' for each person. Then everyone can identify his own towel. Not convinced that would work in our house.

Or you could have different (toning) colours, again to help with identification.

Again, not sure that would work for us lot. I'm no Hyacinth Bucket, but I think as the DCs get older separate towels is the more hygienic thing to do - although, logically, it's what should always be done.

CadleCrap Mon 10-Jun-13 11:54:35

I started a thread years ago about DH leaving his towel on the sofa.

I turned it into an elephant grin

fun with towels

Gooseysgirl Mon 10-Jun-13 12:15:07

My DH despairs of me and my 'Monica from Friends' approach to towels (ie all the varieties... Guest towels, kitchen hand towels, bathroom hand towels, swimming towels, bath towels, hair towels etc etc) But that's how I keep track of them grin Bath towels hang on door of bathroom or over bannister to dry and get washed once per week. Hand towels get changed once/twice per week.

superbadspeller Mon 10-Jun-13 12:19:53

cadlecrap i still make towel elephants on occasion because of that thread grin

Df washes his towels straight away as does dd but she puts everything at the wash even if she's had it on for 5 mins hmm i hang mine and ds's on heaters/doors until next use. Tend to get 3 uses before i wash them.

ShatnersBassoon Mon 10-Jun-13 12:22:45

I put them over the landing banister and they get used probably three times before washing.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Mon 10-Jun-13 13:02:18

Mine and DH's go on the landing bannister, ds's go on hooks on the back of their doors.

They get washed from time to time (we're clean when we use them!) grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: