Talk

Advanced search

Name labels for socks?

(17 Posts)
AnneEyhtMeyer Thu 06-Jun-13 15:26:29

DD starts school in September and so I have been labelling her uniform as I buy it to save a last minute panic. I now have some socks to label but have no idea where to sew them.

I don't really want them visible at the top and I thought about putting them on the sole of the foot but am worried they may rub or annoy her.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Sorry for this not being an exactly thrilling subject.

BornToFolk Thu 06-Jun-13 15:29:02

I got DS some M&S socks with a space at the top that you can write the name in, with laundry pen. However, it was barely legible and washed out.

So, I gave up! For next year I'm only going to bother labelling things that I would mind if they went missing, like coats and shoes. Socks are so cheap, I'm not fussed if he loses the odd one.

SanityClause Thu 06-Jun-13 15:33:42

I usually get iron on labels for socks. They're not brilliant, but they do last a year or so, and I'm not usually that worried about losing a sock!

I iron them on the sole.

For hockey socks, and the like, I stitch a label across the seam at the top of the toe. I've never had complaints about rubbing, so it seems to be successful.

AnythingNotEverything Thu 06-Jun-13 15:33:55

I didn't know people labelled socks. Sorry.

I bought a fabric pen from mothercare and just wrote ds' name on anything that had a label.

RedPencils Thu 06-Jun-13 15:34:49

I wouldn't bother if I were you. Firstly they don't take true socks off in reception for anything so not much chance to lose them. Secondly I realised that the tags cost more than the socks! Same goes for vests & underwear.

I now only label the stuff I don't want to lose.

scaevola Thu 06-Jun-13 15:36:08

I get supermarket socks and don't label them as they are so cheap to replace.

RedPencils Thu 06-Jun-13 15:36:26

Obviously for expensive socks like football ones they get labeled. Normal school socks from M&S, not worth it. Imo

AnythingNotEverything Thu 06-Jun-13 15:49:50

I didn't know people labelled socks. Sorry.

I bought a fabric pen from mothercare and just wrote ds' name on anything that had a label.

AnneEyhtMeyer Thu 06-Jun-13 18:27:05

Brilliant, thank you! Will leave the socks nameless and only name sports socks next year!

everydayaschoolday Thu 06-Jun-13 22:34:07

DD1 takes her sock off in Reception for gymnastics. But I haven't bothered labelling them as she's been taught to tuck socks into her shoes when they come off grin

choirmum Thu 06-Jun-13 22:39:40

I label my daughter's socks (and everything else!) as she's at boarding school. I use an ordinary sew-on name tape but fold it in half so you sew both edges in the same place (if that makes sense) and put it under the turnover in her school socks and just inside the ribbed bit at the top of her games socks, so it can't be seen. They're too expensive to keep replacing!

Mendi Sun 09-Jun-13 15:05:16

I do as Choirmum does. You can unpick easily and reuse the name tapes too.

SoupDragon Sun 09-Jun-13 15:21:03

The only socks I've ever bothered naming are DSs proper sports ones. All the others I buy cheaply from Primark and don't care if they go missing!

HorryIsUpduffed Sun 09-Jun-13 16:15:05

I don't, but used to when I looked after children who boarded. DS1 is at primary school and doesn't take them off even for PE. "Socks into shoes" is what we always do at eg the park, other people's houses, swimming etc.

By far the most comfortable and reliable way to label socks is with a proper Cash's label sewn vertically from the top (ie along the rib of the "cuff" not across it).

IMCNat Mon 20-Mar-17 14:17:09

I have a solution for labelling socks if you're interested. Go to www.mypersonalizedsocks.com.

Natalie

ErrolTheDragon Mon 20-Mar-17 14:26:09

*I got DS some M&S socks with a space at the top that you can write the name in, with laundry pen. However, it was barely legible and washed out.

most supermarket socks have the white strip as well, don't they (I've not bought school socks for a few years and I thought they did then). I used a Sharpie, it didn't wash out.

WhatAPigsEar Mon 20-Mar-17 14:34:17

I use these iron on letter transfers www.easy2name.com/iron-on/letter-transfers.html

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now