Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What to do with grubby duvets?

(8 Posts)
HappyAsASandboy Sun 02-Jun-13 13:37:36

I have several old duvets, all of which need a wash.

Once I reach the point of wanting to wash a duvet, I look at the laundrettes/dry cleaners, see that it's £10+ to wash a duvet, and go to Tesco for a new one for a similar price hmm

It feels wasteful to chuck the old duvet, so it gets added to the pile ... I have four now.

What can I do with them? They don't fit in my 6kg drum washing machine, otherwise I'd wash them. My DM has a 9kg drum, but I don't want to risk breaking her machine. If I wash them by hand in the bath, will try ever dry without a spin? Or can I put them in the clothes recycling bin in the Tesco car park? I can't bring myself to landfill them ...

Any advice?

SavoyCabbage Sun 02-Jun-13 13:39:24

Animal rescue centre? I was thinking this myself today. I've a huge single duvet on top of a wardrobe. Too thick to actually use.

mermaidbutmytailfelloff Sun 02-Jun-13 13:42:35

I am at the laundrette now washing mine.....

It was £6for a wash and I have put £4 in the drier so far but only because the weather is iffy and I want to sleep under it tonight. It is LOVELY and fluffy sort.... It is a super king by the way a smaller one would have fitted in the £4 washer.

Sadly I am unnecessarily pleased with myself , I need to get a life!

mermaidbutmytailfelloff Sun 02-Jun-13 13:43:10

Soft not sort....

HappyAsASandboy Sun 02-Jun-13 14:02:06

£6 doesn't seem so bad ... I have been looking at signs on the walls about duvet washing - maybe that's a 'drop it off dirty and collect it later, clean and dry' service?

Animal rescue centre also a good idea. Will contact my local one and see what they say smile

Thank you for all your suggestions smile

fromwesttoeast Sun 02-Jun-13 14:48:48

I have washed a double duvet in the bath. Only during a heatwave though. I washed it first thing in the morning and draped it all over the rotary dryer in the garden. Dried by evening.

Sleepyfergus Wed 05-Jun-13 15:55:51

Our local animal rescue centre takes in old duvets, towels etc for bedding. My mum offloaded a large amt at winter, they were most grateful as it was cold and needed cosy stuff.

Jan49 Wed 05-Jun-13 17:57:07

If you want to wash them, maybe do them during good weather, wash them at the launderette and hang them up to dry at home? I wash and dry mine at the launderette and I think it's £5 to wash (in a huge machine that would fit kingsize) and £2 to dry.

I had 2 old duvets to get rid of when I changed bed size and I checked with several charities but couldn't find anyone that wanted them so I had to throw them away.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now