Talk

Advanced search

yucky sticky bathroom that smells of wee

(21 Posts)
JJMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 24-May-06 19:51:39

Yes, we do have carpeting in it, but it came with the house. Until we change the floors, how can we get rid of the nighttime wee misses' mess?

(and test - test - is this working...)

Twiglett Wed 24-May-06 19:52:54

get a big hairy dog .. you won't notice the smell so much

Californifrau Wed 24-May-06 19:54:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

misdee Wed 24-May-06 19:54:35

if it is dry, then sprinkle some bicard over the area, and leave overnight. hopefully by the morning the carpet will still be sdry and you can hoover the bicarb up.

Pruni Wed 24-May-06 19:55:20

Message withdrawn

threebob Wed 24-May-06 19:55:44

See my "why can't my FIL wee in the toilet" thread. I'd rip up the carpet NOW.

Pruni Wed 24-May-06 19:56:17

Message withdrawn

SoupDragon Wed 24-May-06 19:57:30

Californifrau, you do realise that JJ isn't Justine, don't you?

Try bicarb soda. Sprinkle it on (I think).

SoupDragon Wed 24-May-06 19:58:41

One of those oh-so-lovely pedestal mats that you can, at least, wash frequently.

If it makes you feel better, our family bathroom(used exclusively by DSs) smells of wee and it has a tiled floor.

bubble99 Wed 24-May-06 19:59:06

You have my sympathy. Our loo smelt like a pub gent's for ages.

Carmenere Wed 24-May-06 19:59:46

I can't believe that Cod has gotten her own section!! And I presume she'll be along in a minute to solve the wee problem

Actually I have the very same problem (new house, bathroom has carpet, no money for a new floor just yet). My temporary solution is I have bought some cheap self adhesive floor tiles from B&Q and any day now I am going to rip up the carpet and put these down until we can get it sorted. However atm they are merely piled up in the corner of said bathroom.

JJMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 24-May-06 20:03:23

No, no, CAfrau, have just learned how to do this so this was an opportune moment to try it out. ;)

I do think the carpet is beyond repair - have tried everything including bicarb and even bought a carpet cleaner but the carpet gets it every night he doesn't wet his bed. sigh.

Californifrau Wed 24-May-06 20:08:41

Piffle Wed 24-May-06 20:14:15

rip up the carpet invest in 45 pedestal mats or larger mats and wash daily.

expatinscotland Wed 24-May-06 20:16:40

rip up that vile carpet! a concrete slab is better than mingin' carpet in the lavvy. YUK!

or better still, go to B&Q and get some cheap self-stick vinyl tiles to do you till you can get a floor you can live w/on.

Gloworm Wed 24-May-06 20:17:29

sprinkle lots of neat tea tree oil on the carpet, will help for sure

JJMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 24-May-06 20:37:40

Thanks for all the suggestions - think we do need to rip it out, it's grim.

No worries about the name-switch, it happens all the time. And you'd think I'd have learned the new way to do winks by now!

expatinscotland Wed 24-May-06 20:39:14

Seriously, those things are nothing but a giant bed of compost for bacteria, fungus, etc.

SleepyJess Wed 24-May-06 20:48:29

Sometimes it's the actual bog itself, not the flooring. My very pristine house proud BF has a stinky pissy downstairs loo that is the bain of her life. And it's not the floor.. that's new tiling

morethan1 Sat 27-May-06 12:05:15

LIZS Sun 28-May-06 14:24:16

Wish I had the answer !! Regular carpet cleaning hasn't shifted ours, even wiped the wall tiles over with diluted Milton fluid but suspect it is inground , probably into the concrete floor below the carpet! Bleurgh ! Have suggested to dh we replace with vinyl but he keeps postponing as hosue is on the market atm. In the meantime , cleaning plus squirts of Dettox spray and leaving the window open help.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: