Talk

Advanced search

Very serious question here....how many tea towels is enough ?

(26 Posts)
Willowisp Mon 27-May-13 12:29:38

I'm completely useless at de-cluttering, so thought I might start off with the tea towel drawer, which I can barely shut.

So that's it really...next question will be about DD2's knicker & sock drawer..... grin

KatoPotato Mon 27-May-13 12:36:57

If your tea towel drawer shuts without a great degree of shoving you don't have enough!

newtonupontheheath Mon 27-May-13 12:40:43

When I clearer out my tea towels (when I was nesting....) I had 45!!!!
My bloody mother buys them for me if they are reduced, or Christmassy, or they match my kitchen.... I hadn't even used half of them!

I kept 10 and sent the rest to dh's work. I put the 10 in a bag, inside the drawer, and when I've used and washed them, I put them back but not in the bag. Have whittled down to 5 now as there was some staying in the bag that still never got used.
But I wash every day as have two under three.... So I guess it depends how often you have the washing machine on...

Jan49 Mon 27-May-13 14:31:02

I'd whittle it down to a number that can fit the drawer and then take into account how many are in use and in the wash at any time. I like to have one to use, one in the wash and at least one spare. I think I own 4 now.

With clothing, I would allow for how much you need on holiday if you might be away for 2 weeks and not doing washing. You could always just wait til your DC need a new size and then buy less if you always have plenty of spares.

noisytoys Mon 27-May-13 14:35:45

I have three t towels. That is plenty

OddSockMonster Mon 27-May-13 14:43:28

We have 8 tea towels and a bunch of muslin cloths. But we do have two very messy children with an amazing talent for knocking drinks over.

Highschoolsweetheart Mon 27-May-13 14:45:15

10–15 depending on how many people are in the house and if you have a dish washer.

Ogg Mon 27-May-13 14:49:33

agree 7/10 - clean one every day plus spares

dontsqueezetheteabag Mon 27-May-13 15:46:21

7-10 is perect I think. That way you can use a new one every day (if required) and have some spares.

My manky SIL seems to only own 1 - it's constantly fucking filthy! Urgh!

EarthtoMajorTom Mon 27-May-13 15:58:18

4 and a few old ones for mopping leaks smile

ChippingInWiredOnCoffee Mon 27-May-13 15:58:40

I only use them once then they go in the wash (well over the rail to dry then into a bag by the washing machine) - I only wash them together (ie not in with clothes etc) so I have around 20 I think (never counted them!!).

ChippingInWiredOnCoffee Mon 27-May-13 15:59:14

I can use 4 in a day without trying grin

lubeybooby Mon 27-May-13 16:00:26

I find none is fine.

I can't bear them even when washed daily. I use a dishwasher which dries them off nicely and kitchen paper if anything really needs it - which is very rare before everyone shouts at me for being wasteful hardly any gets used.

FattyMcChubster Mon 27-May-13 16:00:38

God we barely use ours blush hate drying dishes, always drip dry and mop up with another cloths/paper towels.
Thinking about it, it's only my mum who uses them and when she dries the dishes it makes me a bit grrr as I am an ungrateful wench

CointreauVersial Mon 27-May-13 16:04:24

Barely use them.

I think most of my collection date back to my childhood, and were handed on by DM, who doesn't use them either. I have a great 1970s "Women's Lib" cartoon one.

GetOrfMoiLand Mon 27-May-13 16:05:49

I have got about a dozen I think. I too can get through loads in a day without really thinking about it.

Willowisp Mon 27-May-13 17:51:28

20 is clearly too many then confused

Have removed 10, 2 currently in use (not sure why), the holey ones will be thrown away (one step at a time wink) & the other nice ones are in the utility room for when the other 10 need replacing. Thanks.

I don't use them for drying up though, just to dry my hands. I seem to wash my hands constantly when cooking.

Dd2's sock drawer is another day, but excellent point about them changing sizes - both are moving up to the next size, although dd2 always inherits z mishmash of Dd1's cast off's.

CremeEggThief Mon 27-May-13 17:55:25

Why not get a hand towel for the kitchen instead?

OvO Mon 27-May-13 17:58:34

I have 2. They only get used to take stuff out of the oven, I use kitchen roll for drying dishes or hands.

Vivacia Mon 27-May-13 18:07:03

Kitchen roll for drying dishes?

We have two tea towels and a matching hand towel. They're over 10 years old and I'm looking forward to getting new ones for a new kitchen.

Willowisp Mon 27-May-13 19:51:48

I don't dry dishes, they stay in dishwasher or drying rack & then are put away.

If I used a hand towel in the kitchen, I'd have to loose 22 tea towels & would run out of hand towels all the time wink

PigletJohn Mon 27-May-13 22:35:27

one is more than enough.

unhygenic things.

hot wash, drainer, air dry, put away.

TravelinColour Mon 27-May-13 22:36:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Shiraztastic Mon 27-May-13 22:37:43

I have about 7. I need at least twice as many sad

MousyMouse Mon 27-May-13 22:40:41

I have about 25.
the one for drying dishes (have a d/w so only the odd plate and the puddles on the underside of mugs) gets changed every day.
but I also use them to wrap my homemade bread in. I need so many so I can wash them separately with just soda crystals so my bread doesn't taste of soap.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now