Talk

Advanced search

Sun cream stains - how to remove??

(3 Posts)
emsyj Sun 26-May-13 21:37:24

I stupidly bought some cheapo sun cream spray as I really needed it for DD and I happened to be in Home & Bargain so picked up the highest factor available in there and it has left yellow greasy horrible stains on every single item of clothing it has touched. sad

Any ideas? I've washed everything twice through with biological powder and hung it on the line - sun bleaching hasn't worked.

cathan Mon 27-May-13 13:16:31

The active ingredient in sun cream is the same whether it's a "cheapo" brand or more expensive - i.e. titanium oxide. This is the same stuff that you find in white paint and so can stain clothes. Depending on the formula (and how thickly you apply it) it can leave behind a sticky, yellow residue. Since you've already washed the items and the detergent hasn't removed the stains, I would test a small patch with turpentine or white spirit - if the colour doesn't fade then you could try shifting the stains with more of the same - apply to stain and then wash very thoroughly. Good luck!

CaptainJamesTKirk Mon 27-May-13 17:51:11

IME nothing removes sun cream. However if you hang your washing on the line in the sun, the marks should fade.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now