Talk

Advanced search

Rugs for the disabled

(3 Posts)
Honu Wed 22-May-13 20:18:16

My DH uses a power chair and a zimmer frame and most rugs just get caught up in the frame, the wheels, or his shuffling feet. The only rugs we have retained are two very old and boring ones which are backed with vinyl (or something like that) which extends as an edging iyswim, so they lie very flat. Our hard floors are make the rooms very echo-y and I would love some new rugs. Most of those I can find in the shops are doormat size or utilitarian grey marl. Does anyone know where you can buy naice rugs which won't ruck up.
TIA

JazzAnnNonMouse Wed 22-May-13 20:22:27

You can have rugs made with edging of your choice from carpet pieces.

Does that anti slip stuff work if you had a big enough peice?

wonkylegs Thu 23-May-13 10:19:59

I've designed a lot of wheelchair accessible/supported housing and although I don't get involved with furnishing it is something that people often struggle with.
Thinking a bit out if the box here - what about contacting a company that makes commercial advertising mats. Often these are printed carpet on a non slip backing with an edge to avoid it rucking up as commercial premises have to be aware of accessibility issues.
Instead of getting a logo printed I'm sure you could get a design or pattern. There are loads of companies who make them but make sure they are carpet not entrance matting.
I can't recommend a particular company but a quick google came up with
these or these or
these are just a few examples. I'd call them and discuss rather than ordering online just to check how much like carpet they are.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now