Talk

Advanced search

Smelly shower drain- any ideas?

(9 Posts)
UtterflyButterfly Mon 20-May-13 12:25:49

The shower in our guest bathroom doesn't get used often, so I suppose soap etc sits in the outlet pipe for ages then, when the shower IS used, it stirs it all up. The smell is awful. I've tipped several kettles of boiling water down, and a whole bag of washing soda. I've now got a load of bleach down there which I'll flush down with more boiling water , but is there a product that might help? Any good tips?

I think the problem's compounded by the fact it's on the ground floor so not a huge 'drop' for gravity to carry stuff away.

Watching. My upstairs bathroom sink stinks when you run the water in it, but the bath doesn't. The smell is downstairs by the drain/drainpipe not in the bathroom.

PigletJohn - got a cure for us? Is pigletjohn still about - not seen him for a bit.

specialsubject Mon 20-May-13 12:34:26

might be full of rotting hair so time to get physical. On with the rubber gloves, take off the drain and reach in if it is big enough. Also try to get the outlet pipe off to clean if it is accessible.

UtterflyButterfly Mon 20-May-13 12:40:53

Sadly I can't get into the pipe at all - it's a fully tiled wetroom, so the outlet just disappears under the floor. I have a plunger though, so perhaps I'll give that a go and see if I can dislodge anything.

Rattitude Mon 20-May-13 19:42:24

I have a wetroom too and a few months ago, the water was no longer draining in my shower. I had put soda crystals and boiling water to resolve the issue but nothing had happened.

In my case, I am able to unscrew the metal 'grid' and I was regularly removing the hair sitting on top of the round pipe However, I had not been able to access the bowels of the drain, because the top circle is divided into little segments. (I am not quite sure if this all makes sense to you...).

Anyway, one day, I investigated it again with a friend and actually, we found out that we are able to completely lift the plastic thing inside the drain. We then had free access to the drain, and I removed a cylinder of 3cm x 6cm of hair [boak]. Thankfully, it was after I had poured a jug of boiling water and soda crystals so it did not stink. It was still pretty revolting though.

You might want to check whether there is anything you can unscrew/lift to get access to the pipe from within the shower.

On another note, I never use my bath and occasionally, I need to pour some water down the drain as when the existing water has dried out, the bath smells.

Good luck!

Choccywoccydodah Mon 20-May-13 19:56:01

Plunger!

AdoraBell Tue 21-May-13 03:19:21

I read that Veet works, on another thread. Aparently if you squirt the cream down the plug hole with a bit of forcé it will travel down the pipe and dissolve whatever is lurking.

UtterflyButterfly Tue 21-May-13 09:45:37

Well, my plunger was no good, as it wasn't big enough to go over the whole hole. There is a circular top as you describe rattitude, but even after removing this I can't really get anywhere. I think I need a long piece of wire or something. I've bought a bottle of something which claims to dissolve any nasties lurking down there so I'll have a go at that later.

The Veet idea is interesting, it should work in theory!

Rattitude Tue 21-May-13 17:24:41

Butterfly, I got this drain cleaner from Amazon, and used it down my drain. However, the mass of hair was just down the hole and I could just have used an untwisted metal coat hanger to pull all the crap out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now