Talk

Advanced search

Cleaning leather sofas

(8 Posts)
Sleepyfergus Mon 20-May-13 05:44:55

What do you all use? Mine look a bit tired, generally stained (from kids using it as anything from a trampoline to a dinner table) and unloved. I've got those marzipan smelling wipes (boak) but they don't really make any difference.

RubyOnRails Mon 20-May-13 06:02:27

I don't think they're much good either. It depends how good your leather s....mine is cream and I was so fed up with the state of them that I had nothing to lose....I sprayed flash and had a go with my specially designated battery toothbrush. Then did the almond wipes to get rid of the flash. Rivers of dirt! But I reckon you could only do that once. And if your sofas the cheap leather where the grain wears away, it might be a bit heavy handed tbh.

MrsBungle Mon 20-May-13 06:07:22

I have a brown leather sofa. I bought the fancy wipes from csl which have conditioner in them. Cheap ones from dunelm mill too. What I usually use, though, are just baby wipes. Huggies baby wipes clean my soda a treat. I clean it once a week with them or more if there's dirty marks.

hophophippidtyhop Mon 20-May-13 06:54:58

I use the absorb stuff from ikea. There's a cleaner that foams up that you use, then a conditioner that you rub in, leave for a bit then buff off. I don't always use the conditioner everytime, but it brings it up nice.

Frontdoorstep Mon 20-May-13 07:59:21

I just use wipes, baby wipes, or antibacterial wipes.

MrsPennyapple Mon 20-May-13 08:13:37

I normally use baby wipes but when I wanted to give it a more thorough clean I just used warm water with fairy liquid in. It made a huge difference , I hadn't realized how bad it was.

I think Kim & Aggie recommend saddle wax or something? Looks bloody hard work though.

mrsyattering Mon 20-May-13 08:24:20

for every day cleaning and spills, baby wipes. once a month or so the special leather cleaning ones tbh they are no better than baby wipes. we use baby wipes in the leather car seats too? kids make such a mess in there toogrin

Pumpkinette Wed 22-May-13 12:07:20

Saddle soap but it can damage really soft grain leather. I love saddle soap for leather jackets and my couch (well the leather bits as ours is a fabric & leather mixed one). It's cheap and the bar lasts forever.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now