Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Aaargh, colours ran in the wash, help!

(7 Posts)
Hasitfallendownagain Thu 16-May-13 07:53:56

So if you have actually performed that most cliched of acts, and let a brick red item get in with all your whites - how do you stop them all being a delicate shade of orange and go back to white again?

Can't believe I did that! Shoved a load of stuff in the washing machine, and there was a pair of red trousers already in there. And I washed at 70 degrees because DS had vomited on the sheets and towels. Now all my lovely bedding and towels look totally grubby and awful.

Does anyone know if there is anything I can do?

bunchamunchycrunchycarrots Thu 16-May-13 08:08:08

Have you dried it yet? Your best chance is to run it all through again while still wet/damp and get as much if the colour/dye out. I've done that a few times and managed to get the run out if I've seen it before drying it all. Maybe add some vanish too?

Hasitfallendownagain Thu 16-May-13 08:35:41

It's almost dry - I stuck the wash on late last night and then DH hung it up just before he came up to bed, and evidently didn't notice the colour run, so it's had about 8 hours drying on the rack. Still a bit damp though, not completely dry, especially the towels.
I'll run it through again, thanks!

Hasitfallendownagain Thu 16-May-13 08:39:12

Just thought - should I wash it hot again, or normal 40 degrees this time?

Hasitfallendownagain Thu 16-May-13 12:35:12

Washing it again worked! Not absolutely perfect but now more like cream than orange.

ArtyFartyQueen Thu 16-May-13 12:37:22

I'm sure there is something you can buy in the supermarket that reverses colour runs - might be worth looking if you want to get them bright white again!

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 16-May-13 12:40:36

You just need colour run remover. Soak it overnight in the sink or a bucket and then wash as normal.

I keep things like this in the cupboard, if you've done it once you tend to be more careful.

Homebargains sell it cheaper than the main supermarkets.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now