Talk

Advanced search

My dishwasher hell

(8 Posts)
MadBusLady Wed 15-May-13 14:43:39

Well, ok, it's just slightly annoying really.

Neff dishwasher, probably quite old, it has come with the house. First few times we used it it was fine. The dispenser thingy didn't always open during the wash but it still seemed to clean ok.

Now the dispenser doesn't open ever, and the wash is rubbish, leaves things dirty and squeaky and cloudy. I'm going to check the filters but what can I do about the dispenser not opening?

ginmakesitallok Wed 15-May-13 14:54:55

Just throw the dishwasher tablet on the floor of the dishwasher, that's where it ends up anyway.

FrebbieMisaGREATshag Wed 15-May-13 14:56:34

What gin said.

moonbells Wed 15-May-13 14:57:44

Also try using a pin on all the water jet holes. Might be blocked. Yes to chucking the tab on the bottom.

randgirl Wed 15-May-13 15:02:46

Or just put the tablet in the cutlery holder.

Yes they do leave dishes squeaky clean, so that is normal. You cannot put crystal glasses in dw as they do become cloudy, so those you will have to handwash.

Has is got salt in the dispenser? If there is not salt it doesnt clean properly. Although the tabs say they have salt in, i always top up the dispenser anyway. (in case you are new to dishwashers the salt goes into a different dispenser than the powder/tablet).

MadBusLady Wed 15-May-13 15:41:31

Thank you all! The salt light hasn't come on but I'll check anyway.

PigletJohn Wed 15-May-13 18:19:03

if you have never cleaned the filters, do it now. There may be three of them. If you have not got the instructions you can probbaly download then from the makers website. The E Nr and FD date code are probably engraved in the top edge of the door.

Neff is a brand name owned by Boch and made in the same factories so you will probably find fairly standard set of filters. The big plastic handle will take out the first two and there may be a gauze cylinder underneath. Later ones may have a flap to unblock the pump. Also take off the spinning arms and shake them about in the sink in case they have rice or something in them.

It is possible but rare to clog the internal waterways with greasy sludge, if the previous owners liked to put grill or chip pans in there without pouring off the fat and wiping out with kitchen roll.

Horopu Wed 15-May-13 18:39:17

I'd clean all the filters/arms out as suggested then run an empty load with lots of washing soda crystals on the floor of it to degrease it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now