Talk

Advanced search

How to get rid of dog smell on leather sofa

(9 Posts)
MamaMary Wed 15-May-13 13:11:45

We bought a second hand leather sofa on Gumtree. It is in good condition, but it stinks of dog. I sponged it with water and bicarbonate of soda, but then I discovered loads of dog hairs down in the crevices at the back and sides of the seat cushions. The cushions can't be removed.

The hoover won't even lift some of the hairs that are stuck in the sides. I have shoved dry bicarb down them and will leave it for 24 hours before hoovering up. It still smells.

Any more ideas?

Now know why some furniture is advertised as coming from a pet and smoke free home! Feel I've been a bit naive, arrrgh!

MamaMary Wed 15-May-13 16:07:51

Bump

MamaMary Thu 16-May-13 10:28:50

Bump

Showtime Thu 16-May-13 22:08:47

You could always advertise it as coming from pet and smoke free home....

MamaMary Sat 18-May-13 19:20:27

Ha, yes, and it would be literally true.

I have cleaned and cleaned it, hoovered/ wiped/ picked all the hairs off, doused it in bicarbonate of soda, cleaned and hoovered off the bicarb. I then rubbed on a lovely mixture of vegetable oil and lavender oil which masked the smell for a bit. Today I also used an enzyme odour remover spray on it. It says it permanently gets rid of even old smells and even has a picture of a dog on a sofa on it. However, I am convinced it still reeks sad

I am going to finish the whole flippin bottle of spray on it, leave it a few days, and if the smell hasn't gone it's going back on Gumtree. And I won't mention pets....

The funny thing is it actually looks fantastic.

Chanatan Sun 19-May-13 06:19:28

I wash mine with bio washing powder mixed in hot water,dry with a towel and then use saddle soap on it,seems to banish any canine smells.

tibni Sun 19-May-13 11:54:49

If you put rubber gloves on, slightly damp them then run your hands down the sides of the cushions they will collect the dog hairs where the hoover attachment will not reach.

MamaMary Mon 20-May-13 14:56:19

Chanatan, I have washed it with bio washing powder..
Tibni, good idea about the rubber gloves, I did it and it lifted some hairs but some are still ingrained in the fabric. I have also lifted some hairs using gaffer tape. I actually have it outside today as fresh air will probably help more than anything. I'm ready to give up, but I keep thinking the smell HAS to fade over time and with this amount of cleaning.

Ugh!

Pumpkinette Wed 22-May-13 12:01:19

Saddle soap is great at removing horse smells from leather so I'm pretty sure it would get rid of dog smells too. It's fairly cheap to buy but you would have to patch test before you used it as it can damage some soft grain leather.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now