Talk

Advanced search

Arggghhh Why isn't my heating working?

(30 Posts)
alienbanana Wed 15-May-13 10:25:53

Boiler seems OK, the hot water is working fine. The pump was recently replaced incase that was the issue and it's whirring away.

The rads just aren't getting hot though. We've bled them, but even turning right up doesn't result in any heat. The first one on the system has got slightly warm, the rest are stone cold.

A new radiator was put on a few days ago (that's currently turned off), could that have caused it? We have had problems with the heating over the winter - the boiler is old and obviously struggling, but some of the rads would heat up - at the moment everything is just cold.

(can't believe I'm posting this in the middle of May.. ugh)

alienbanana Wed 15-May-13 10:27:19

Should have said that we have had people in to look at it, and they've suggested flushing the system through when it's warmer, which we do intend to do asap. They can't find any actual fault though.

alienbanana Wed 15-May-13 11:44:42

Bollocks. The hot water is taking forever to heat up... That's the boiler isn't it?

alienbanana Wed 15-May-13 19:39:23

One radiator is now warm. Its taken all day. What the hell is going on.

Showtime Thu 16-May-13 22:15:26

When I have problems, it's usually the water pressure - don't know why it keeps going down but have finally learned what to do to get it back and have hot radiators again.

MisForMumNotMaid Thu 16-May-13 22:23:25

If you've bled the radiators was there much air and is it a combi boiler (no hot water tank)? If so you may need to pressurise as PP says.

Its possible there's an airlock in the system stopping/ limiting the water circulating - could have happened when new radiator work was done .

Doesn't explain the hot water not heating though as I'd expect your boiler to prioritise hot water over heating.

alienbanana Fri 17-May-13 08:00:59

Hmm interesting, thank you both. Water pressure is fine (I think? - will check)

Tiny amount of air in a couple of the rads. Nothing to worry about. We've got a normal boiler, not a combi.

I think the hot water thing was a red herring. It had to heat a whole tank to temperature which it's not done for ages, and took less than 2 hours, so that seems OK to me.

I'm just worried it's an old shit boiler that just can't cope with the system. We will flush the system out though as I suspect there is an airlock somewhere in it.

Thank you

Moredofbumsnet Fri 17-May-13 14:13:54

Are you sure it's not the pump? Just because it's making a noise doesn't mean it is working correctly. I'd phone the person who installed the new pump and ask about it.
The first radiator after the boiler would heat up eventually even without the pump working.

alienbanana Fri 17-May-13 16:31:24

Its a new pump so assumed it would be ok. I will get it checked though, because that does seem to be the obvious answer.

Bloke who fitted it was a bit crap too, but happen to have another plumber coming tomorrow, so will get him to look.

Showtime Sat 18-May-13 17:19:40

Do let us know if you solve the problem.

FreddieMisaGREATshag Sat 18-May-13 17:25:27

It might be the white thing in the airing cupboard, assuming you have one.

There's a white square box (technical) in my airing cupboard and it does something with valves to switch between hot water and rads because I have a four pipe system.

It failed and I had no heat - there's a slidey thing (technical again) on the white box - I slid it to manual which means water heats up with rads, and it worked til the plumber came.

alienbanana Sat 18-May-13 18:15:59

Freddie, that sounds familiar, I will have a look!

We've decided that the whole system needs flushing through anyway, so we'll get it looked at then, and at some point this year replace the boiler too, as its about 25 years old and definitely not very efficient.

FreddieMisaGREATshag Sat 18-May-13 18:19:00

I can't describe it any better - it's a white box with a wee orange light on it. There's a slider at the back - hang on til I google.....

It's called a motorized valve - if you google there's loads of issues and moving the slidey thing might work.

alienbanana Sat 18-May-13 18:21:48

Oooh thank you. When I can be arsed to go upstairs I will have a look! smile

RandomMess Sat 18-May-13 18:25:58

Have you turned the new radiator on, perhaps the way it's linked to the system means it needs to be on?

DisappointedHorse Sat 18-May-13 18:32:01

When you say the water pressure is ok, do you mean the water pressure in general or in the actual boiler? I'm just checking because that's what ours was and I didn't realise you can actually adjust the pressure on the boiler itself.

Alternately, your thermostat may have lost connectivity with your boiler. If it's a wireless one this is quite common. Follow the instructions in your manual to reconnect it.

alienbanana Sat 18-May-13 18:59:30

We've turned all the rads on in turn, including the new one. Doesnt make any difference.

I didn't know about pressure to the boiler - another thing to check, thank you.

Thermostat seems fine, has new batteries. Will reconnect though and see if that helps

The heating is firing, just... Nothing seems to get to the radiators.

Freddie - no white box (its something else) but there are two valves that have auto and manual on them - one for water, one for heating. Both switched to auto.
Not sure if I should fiddle tbh

FreddieMisaGREATshag Sat 18-May-13 19:01:25

Switch both to manual = that's what my thingy on my box said, auto and manual, and see what happens. If the valve sticks, according to my plumber, it meant that either rads or water heated up depending on where it stuck iyswim?

FreddieMisaGREATshag Sat 18-May-13 19:02:12

Switch the heating one to manual and see what happens. All it'll do is open the valve all the time and if it makes no difference just switch it back.

alienbanana Sat 18-May-13 19:04:56

I'll try and convince DP - he's worried it'll bugger something up confused

FreddieMisaGREATshag Sat 18-May-13 19:07:14

show him this

alienbanana Sat 18-May-13 19:54:33

Cheers, that did it smile

FreddieMisaGREATshag Sat 18-May-13 19:58:27

grin wow. How impressed am I that I knew something technical. grin

alienbanana Sat 18-May-13 20:06:11

Haha, I mean that link did the trick grin

Trying it now though. I think we need to reconnect the wireless thermostat though.

alienbanana Sat 18-May-13 20:38:44

Bum. Good idea, but no. Rads still cold. Bah.

Thanks though, its ruled it out at least

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now