Talk

Advanced search

Cleaning bathroom extractor fans

(4 Posts)
KKKKaty Wed 15-May-13 09:32:09

Dull, I know.

I have an extractor fan on the ceiling of my bathroom and the inside is thick with dust and fluff. I think this is what is causing it to be so loud. It looks like there might be a cover thing that pops off the front. Is this something I can safely do myself or do I need an electrician to do it? I'm a bit wary of dismantling electrical things.

Thanks.

chocoluvva Wed 15-May-13 09:40:21

I've taken the cover off and given it a good wash.

You could flip the main fuse switch box on your central fuse box to turn off the electricity supply to your home.

fufflebum Wed 15-May-13 09:43:09

I vacuum mine. I make sure it is switched off at the switch outside the bathroom and then hoover.

There is a cover that you can unscrew and this then opens up so you can see inside. They are not very complex TBH

If you are worried turn off the trip switch at the main box before you use it but it should not need this. As it is electrical err on the side of caution!

tilbatilba Wed 15-May-13 09:43:53

Just pop it off - best way to wash it is in the dishwasher. Give the blades a bit of a wipe and it should be fine for the next 6 months.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now