Talk

Advanced search

Sheepskin rugs

(6 Posts)
BigPigLittlePig Tue 14-May-13 10:03:41

I have one. I also have a cat, who has decided that said rug would be an appropriate place to take a tinkle. What is the best way to clean a sheepskin rug?

bohoec Tue 14-May-13 10:06:44

Oh, marking place because I want to get one but haven't because I have 2 cats and have heard about this happening before. I'll be interested in any good tips... Might make me get one

PigletJohn Tue 14-May-13 12:58:25

put in in the bath and slosh about with shampoo. Cold-rinse. Dry it quickly on the line or it will smell bad as the skin will decay.

you will need to train and discourage the cat with a get-off spray or squirting it with water, or both, as it has decided what the rug's for.

BigPigLittlePig Tue 14-May-13 13:02:48

Thanks piglet - shall wait for a sunny day then attempt it. The cat will be discouraged <grits teeth>

Showtime Thu 16-May-13 22:21:45

Sheepskins dry like boards, as well as getting brittle after washing, so best to move it about gently to get it soft again. There's some herb cats dislike, sorry I can't remember, but worth finding something to use once it's clean as you won't want to wash it too often.

PigletJohn Thu 16-May-13 23:42:19

the shampoo helps prevent dryness.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now