Talk

Advanced search

Cleaning a glass shower screen.

(19 Posts)
lollilou Tue 14-May-13 08:16:44

Please can you give me your tips on cleaning a glass shower screen? We fairly hard water here so struggle with water stains and streaks.

Vivacia Tue 14-May-13 08:50:58

Very hard water here too. I spray dilute vinegar immediately after showering and dry off with the Karcher window cleaner. I do the tiles at the same time and if there are any smears buff off later with a dry cloth.

ILikeToClean Tue 14-May-13 11:59:55

I mix up white vinegar and bicarbonate of soda, it fizzes up when mixed, then put on screen and shower off, then buff with a dry cloth. HTH!

KatyTheCleaningLady Tue 14-May-13 12:32:49

vinegar + soda = fizzing = water. It's good for unclogging drains a bit, but it doesn't accomplish anything special as a cleaning agent.

OP, have you tried Flash bathroom spray? Or perhaps a bit of scrubbing with a Magic Eraser?

I have to say that some marks may not come off completely. I have used highly acidic cleaners and even magic erasers and there will still be faint marks on the glass. I think there may be some etching on the surface by the deposits and that's not going to wash off.

TheSlug Tue 14-May-13 12:55:13

limelight is my saviour. the spray bottle is best, really works for me and saved my sanity after months of scrubbing with all sorts of concoctions!!

Mum2Fergus Tue 14-May-13 17:20:48

Just water and an ecloth.

lollilou Tue 14-May-13 17:23:56

Thanks for all your replies. I actually have some limelight in my cupboard brought for the taps so I'll have a go at that then try a few other tips. Cheers all.

Twinklestarstwinklestars Tue 14-May-13 17:23:57

Our water is very hard here, I use viakal or flash bathroom spray.

PoppyWearer Tue 14-May-13 17:38:11

FWIW, it really helps if you squeegee the screen after each use.

Frontdoorstep Tue 14-May-13 18:20:03

I'm in an area with nice soft water so maybe that helps. I just use cif, it's the best thing I've ever used for cleaning.

RunDougalRunQuiteFast Tue 14-May-13 18:21:34

Can recommend getting a water softener, will cut out the problem.

Mynewmoniker Tue 14-May-13 18:37:32

Shower glass spray at about £1 a bottle.

Does anyone have the home made recipe for this? Is it just white vinegar?

Sqeegee after shower and then spray and leave. Always works here!

Lizzabadger Tue 14-May-13 18:41:23

Viakal is good but expensive

Taffeta Tue 14-May-13 18:46:04

Squeegee after every use. Have one of these in each shower. Don't need any cleaner, just use on its own with water that has accumulated during shower.

ohmeohmyforgotlogin Tue 14-May-13 18:47:32

White vinegar plus lemon juice plus bit washing up liquid in spray bottle. Does it for me

Zoomania Tue 14-May-13 18:48:06

Squeegee after every shower.

peachypips Tue 14-May-13 18:55:26

When mine are really bad I use kettle descaler! You can buy Scale Away in liquid bottle form rather than the powder. It is in a small white plastic bottle.
WEAR GLOVES as it's corrosive. Spread it on, leave for 5 mins then wipe off. Don't get it on anything except the glass. Scary but really works! <grin>

KatyTheCleaningLady Tue 14-May-13 21:30:07

If you use a very strong acid, be sure that the screen is actually glass and not that carbonate (?) stuff. The acid can actually eat that.

Mynewmoniker Tue 14-May-13 22:35:16

Thanks for that ohmeohmy. I'm going to try it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now