Talk

Advanced search

Cleaning woollen blankets!

(3 Posts)
Erebus Sun 12-May-13 19:28:13

I have 2 pure wool blankets, the 'aertex' ones with small holes all over them. They're old and belong to my mother who, unfortunately, smokes. I have the use of them for a fortnight for guest beds but I really want to freshen them up. Interestingly, they smell almost of tar or creosote rather than smoke.

I don't want to pay out £10 odd each to get them dry cleaned but dare I gentle machine wash them? And flat dry them?

treesntrees Tue 14-May-13 20:03:44

I wash mine and line dry weather permitting or drape over landing bannister . If line drying I find it best to peg both ends together using multiple pegs as draping over line leaves a line mark although this works itself out with use. However mine are not cellular although 100% wool. I imagine cellular might be lighter when wet.

Pudden Wed 15-May-13 09:43:11

I wash mine in the bath with pure soap and then rinse and spin in machine. They go out on the line pegging at both ends like treesntrees If you have any Borax then add some to the rinse water as it is brilliant at neutralising smells

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now