Talk

Advanced search

How did you find your cleaner?

(21 Posts)
SEWannabe Sun 12-May-13 16:44:48

Hi Ladies.
I am in the process of seting up as a sole trader in domestic cleaning.
I'm just doing a bit of research about advertising, and am wondering those of you who have/had cleaners for your home,where did you find out about them?
As part of my business plan, I am trying to find the best places to advertise, and this information would really help me.
Thanks.

HDEE Sun 12-May-13 16:46:06

I asked on a local Facebook page and she was recommended.

SEWannabe Sun 12-May-13 16:48:31

Thanks for the quick reply HDEE.
I think word of mouth will be crucial, especially as I live in quite a close knit community.

ggirl Sun 12-May-13 16:48:50

usually word of mouth
did have one found online but wasn't impressed and only used them 3 times

I am looking for one atm and have been asking for recommendations from friends , most good cleaners are fully booked up around here.

I will look in local freebie paper if that helps

SEWannabe Sun 12-May-13 16:56:52

Thanks ggirl.
I have started advertising on the free sites such as gumtree, freeads etc for my local area, as well as on MN and NMs.
The local papers are my next idea, thanks for the info.

MyCatHasStaff Sun 12-May-13 16:58:46

I found mine on gumtree. She's only been once so far, but seems good.

StarfishEnterprise Sun 12-May-13 17:02:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SEWannabe Sun 12-May-13 17:51:36

Thanks Ladies, all your information is helpful.

Starfish-i am planning on using eco-friendly products too. When you say "they were pretty good for a while" what happened after "a while" that made them not as good?

Relaxedandhappyperson Sun 12-May-13 18:28:49

I have had them from cards in shops, local free magazines, a local "recommended" guide and the Internet.

The current one is great and off the Internet - but previous Internet ones have been less so. It's not easy to find someone who is thorough and reliable.

MarshaBrady Sun 12-May-13 18:30:33

A friend's recommendation.

SEWannabe Sun 12-May-13 19:41:47

Thanks.

Relaxedandhappy-glad to hear that cards in shops may be a good idea too. i have several outlying villages with post offices and newsagents, so will pop cards into their windows, as well as the big Tesco ini the town centre.

KatyTheCleaningLady Sun 12-May-13 20:24:52

I advertise via Google adwords and leaflets, so that's where I get most of my customers. I do get some from word-of-mouth, too.

It seems to me that the ones who advertise in post offices are cheaper than the ones who have professional web sites. If you're looking into doing this is a fully legit business (that is to say, insurance and paying all taxes, etc) then you might find that gumtree and shop bulletin boards won't bring you the clients you want. I'm not saying it won't, but I've seen very low rates advertised there.

There's a fair chance this thread will be deleted if MNHQ perceives this as market research. PM me and I will point you to a couple of good online resources for domestic cleaners.

Good luck to you!

SEWannabe Sun 12-May-13 22:07:12

Thanks Katy. I didn't realise I wasn't able to post some market-research style questions here.
Thanks for your inbox message too. I'll check out that website.

I have my leaflets on order, so will be hitting the streets with those within the next few weeks.
Yes, i am setting it up as a proper business, registering as a sole trader with HMRC, getting PLI, registering for taxes etc.

I am trying to find a website designer, bit budget is a big issue, so it's a work in progress!

Thanks for your help.

Weegiemum Sun 12-May-13 22:09:09

Personal recommendation.

StarfishEnterprise Sun 12-May-13 23:35:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DewDr0p Sun 12-May-13 23:40:48

Recommended was best.

Had some success with putting my own card in a shop too.

I'd also recommend asking clients to be quite specific about how they want stuff doing up front - ime as a customer it's much trickier to say you don't like the way someone is doing something a few weeks in...

SEWannabe Mon 13-May-13 12:25:00

Thats a shame Starfish, sounds like she was lovely! Let me know if you are in Cornwall and want a cleaner wink

DewDr0p-Thats pretty much what I am planning to do before I start. I will do a 'home visit' and walk around with the client and ask them to explain what they want me to clean.
I'll also be informing them of things that I won't do, such as ironing (my idea of HELL).

Beatrixpotty Mon 13-May-13 16:08:08

Netmums.Inherited a cleaner when bought our house,then when she left,her friend did it.She's gone home to Philippines so had to look again hence netmums.Also you could leave flyers at local playgroups & maybe offer a special rate?I've recommended all my cleaners to friends I know from groups & got them other jobs,you just need 1 mum who books you & then word of mouth will get you more jobs.

SEWannabe Tue 14-May-13 12:55:15

Thanks Beatrix, I will have to keep an eye on new homes being sold, or empty houses, and pop a flyer through the door.

Sofia89 Thu 16-May-13 13:16:30

@KatyTheCleaningLady - are you based in London?

KatyTheCleaningLady Thu 16-May-13 15:36:02

Sofia, no. I'm up North. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now