Talk

Advanced search

Ideas for a house warming present

(11 Posts)
tabbycat15 Sun 12-May-13 03:40:20

I'm seeing my best friend tomorrow but rather not do flowers, plant, chocolates. She doesn't drink wine. Any ideas of what I could get? I haven't got time to bake anything.

Grockle Sun 12-May-13 04:01:17

Depends what she likes & what she has.

I'd love a nice scented candle or a pretty thing to hang somewhere (eg I have a set of 3 metal hearts hanging in my bedroom & a glass star in. The window). Or a pretty pot of flowers to go by the front door.

howcomes Sun 12-May-13 04:23:58

A fun/tasteful doormat? Picture frame maybe with a homemade sketch of a house and a personal message or print off the relevant bit from ordanance survey map? Mugs and herbal tea/coffee/hot choc and biscuits or nice bubble bath stuff as moving house so stressful, or a joke gift with paintbrushes, sandpaper, toolset etc for working on new house?

monsterchild Sun 12-May-13 05:05:30

The best house warming gift I recurved was a cookbook.I still use it seven years later!

Grockle Sun 12-May-13 09:20:27

Actually, when my sister moved into her house, she needed to gut it. We got her a cheap bucket & filled it with paintbrushes, decorator wipes, white spirit, dust sheets, gloves etc - all the stuff I'd needed when I worked on my house but resented spending lots of money on. We also got her a proper, nice present too.

Dilidali Sun 12-May-13 09:30:04

I got a very very naice candle that I adore. Very discreet smell.
I also got nice mugs, and I let the gift bearer to dispose of an equal number of mugs as she saw fit. She is my best friend smile.

Bowlersarm Sun 12-May-13 09:34:02

Second the idea if a cook book. I nearly always buy this as a housewarming present. I tend to buy one I haven't got so if they already have it I can keep it and get them one they don't have. Or keep the receipt just in case.

tabbycat15 Sun 12-May-13 14:21:10

Thanks everyone for your ideas. I will look tomorrow.

GrandPoohBah Sun 12-May-13 14:31:14

I always buy people a vase. They get flowers and often have nowhere to put them!

Rattitude Sun 12-May-13 15:43:48

I was also about to suggest a nice vase, and possibly a bunch of flowers with it too.

Ruprekt Sun 12-May-13 15:47:21

Loaf bread
Honey
Candle

Write a card and say 'here is bread so you will always have food, honey to add sweetness and candle for light.'

You could add your own too and make them funny!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now