Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Best way of getting blood out of carpet

(8 Posts)
HootShoot Fri 10-May-13 13:03:17

Our poor cat came in with a bleeding paw this morning and must have run up and down the stairs and hall ways several times and has managed to get blood everywhere. Can anyone recommend a good product or way to clean up the carnage?

HootShoot Fri 10-May-13 14:29:15

Bump - any advice as I have to go to the shops soon.

Ta!!

Frontdoorstep Fri 10-May-13 16:08:58

Hi, if it is just a small amount of blood in the carpet I tend to use a baby wipe (or a toilet wipe), I find this works quite well, but it sounds like you have a lot of blood so it might take a bit of time and effort with baby wipes.

Failing that I have a steam mop which I use to do the laminate floors, it also does carpets, although I've never tried it on a carpet, so I might be tempted to try that if I had a lot of blood but maybe you don't have a steam mop.

Other than that I'd just get down on my knees and use plain hot water (no detergent in it)and give it a vigorous rubbing with a cloth.

Hope your cat is ok.

HootShoot Fri 10-May-13 16:53:29

Thanks frontdoorstep I'll give that a go - I think we have a steam mop hidden in a cupboard somewhere, and there is a lot of blood. Poor boy had his claw ripped out sad he's got it bandaged up and is wearing a lampshade collar so is rightly feeling very sorry for himself.

AnneEyhtMeyer Fri 10-May-13 18:28:41

I'd avoid hot water and steam, actually. I don't think it will help and will possibly make the stain set. Try cold water, salt and a white cloth.

goodbyeyellowbrickroad Fri 10-May-13 18:31:33

Haven't used it on carpet but hydrogen peroxide works wonders on getting blood out of clothes. I use the 3% stuff that you can pick up at the chemist. Soak a cotton wool pad or ball with it and dab then rinse with cold water.

BoffinMum Fri 10-May-13 19:58:05

I'd use liquid soap and water, to break down the enzymes, them rinse with steam machine.

HootShoot Fri 10-May-13 20:36:57

Hi all, thanks for all your advice, I actually bumped into my neighbour and mentioned it to her and it turned out she had had a similar problem after her dog had cut his leg and she handed me a bottle of hydrogen peroxide. It's working brilliantly so far and has pretty much got up all the blood except for the really heavily stained bits and even then you can hardly see the stain.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now