Talk

Advanced search

moving house - sorting and organising help!

(4 Posts)
AmericasTorturedBrow Fri 03-May-13 04:46:10

I know good housekeeping might not strictly be the right topic but we move house in a few weeks (get keys to new place 15th May, give back keys to current place 30th May)

Helpfully DH will be in China for the duration - his work have agreed to give us a small amount of cash ($1000 so I suppose £600) towrds moving costs. We're in a house too big for our needs currently so there's a fair amount I can get rid of but not much time for selling so going to do one yard sale (sorry, we're in USA but I'm a Brit) then chuck/donate what's left.

BUT the admin etc is in a right state, too many toys all over the place etc. Any housekeeping tips to help me pack up in a way that'll make for a harmonious start when I unpack again?!

quoteunquote Fri 03-May-13 17:17:35

Start a file on your laptop,

be ruthless about chucking, recycling and get rid of stuff,

pack like with like,

give each room/space a letter,

on each box write a letter and number on the top and all sides,

on your "moving file" have list, with what went in the box,

Box S28 - reference books/dictionaries
Box K12 - Baking tins and trays.

have a list which has where each box goes,
Box S28 - Study,
Box K12 -Kitchen

Hand out the destination list at the other end to everyone involved in the move, keep the what is in them list to yourself,

when you need things, you can look at the list as to which box it is in,

then start with the things you need least, take a box, and laptop, start with books, and do it bit by bit, you will soon fill a room with packed boxes,

wine boxes are the strongest, and right size to carry. (the ones that take only six bottles are best for books), or boxes become too heavy.

When I pack for clients, I always digitally photograph the contents of each boxes, laid out, then when they click on the box number, they get the list of items and a visual picture,

this has proven very popular, as if some boxes are in storage it's easy to know what is in them, and if there is a time period between packing and unpacking, it much easier for people to unpack in an organised fashion, it's also easier to find stuff.

you can reduce your clothing and linen down by using the vacuum bags, before putting in boxes.

AmericasTorturedBrow Fri 03-May-13 22:17:21

Thanks - good start! I guess as I have 2 weeks to move I should just get going with packing up non neccessary stuff (books etc) and yes I want to be really ruthless about getting rid of stuff we don't actually need....

SlatternismyMiddlename Sat 04-May-13 10:36:00

Do not make the same mistake I made and take tat from one house to the next.

Also do not ever think you are doing too much in advance. I thought I was super organised and had done loads - I hadn't.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now