Talk

Advanced search

Cleaning a job lot of Lego?

(20 Posts)
Zorra Tue 30-Apr-13 20:22:44

Basically! Picked up 5kg of Lego from eBay for DS but it really needs a clean and I am too lazy busy to clean it all by hand. The interwebs suggests that I can put it through the washing machine on a cold cycle in a delicates bag, but washing machine is also new, so wondered if anyone has tried this? Or any other suggestions?

Also, I don't have a mesh bag thing for delicates; think I can put them in a pillow case? Or ideas as to where to get a mesh bag from? Thanks!

ditavonteesed Tue 30-Apr-13 20:23:26

dishwasher?

Yika Tue 30-Apr-13 20:24:19

Put it in a bucket in a weak bleach solution. You could use Milton sterilising fluid.

mrsvandertramp Tue 30-Apr-13 20:25:28

A teacher friend of mine always washes her class lego every half term in the washing machine - can't remember what she puts it in, it may be a pillowcase, I'm sure that'd be fine.

Choccyjules Tue 30-Apr-13 20:26:42

I did a million (well it felt like it) ball pond balls in the bath. Then rinsed and drained.

IsThatTrue Tue 30-Apr-13 20:26:59

Pillow case in the washing machine.

Phantomteadrinker Tue 30-Apr-13 20:28:05

Yes Milton, that's what they use in nurseries. Hth

5madthings Tue 30-Apr-13 20:28:26

Pillowcase in washing machine. Or in the bath and shower it, i have done both.

Madratlady Tue 30-Apr-13 20:28:28

If you don't want washing machine it you could put it in a bah with fairy liquid and wash it

Madratlady Tue 30-Apr-13 20:28:40

A bath I mean

Zorra Tue 30-Apr-13 20:31:31

Wow, thanks! Will try it in the washing machine, in a pillow case, and report back!

parabelle Tue 30-Apr-13 20:32:05

Did mine in the bath, it was disgusting, couldn't believe how filthy it was.

HeavenlyYoni Tue 30-Apr-13 20:49:40

Put a baby bath in the garden and let the dc's help clean it. Lots of bubbles. Obviously stay with them though!

Chubfuddler Tue 30-Apr-13 20:50:49

Lingerie net back thing in the dishwasher. I cleaned a load of duplo like that, came up like new.

Blatherskite Tue 30-Apr-13 20:57:20

I always put it in the washing machine in a pillow case. DH is was LEGO mad just like DS so MIL has done the same thing regularly for years and never had a problem.

My tip would be to use Bio wash liquid as it helps get it the cleanest.

thereinmadnesslies Tue 30-Apr-13 21:43:24

You can buy the mesh bags in Wilkos cheaply. I washed loads of Lego in the dishwasher. A few bits distorted - I think they'd been nearest to the water jets or not genuine Lego - but the majority was fine.

Chocotrekkie Tue 30-Apr-13 21:45:57

I used the trays from my used once vegetable steamer in the dishwasher.. Came up like new.

AngiBolen Tue 30-Apr-13 21:47:24

I have heard mesh bags in the dishwasher works.

Marking my place as I have lots of Duplo due a clean.

Wilko you say?

Zorra Wed 01-May-13 09:49:49

First set done in the washing machine today - has come up nicely but the very grubby stuff will need a toothbrush scrub (DS can do this himself!). You could see all the filthy water in the machine, bleurgh...

beecrazy Wed 01-May-13 23:08:22

Dishwasher works really well, I also put other platic toys in there including pretend food items. I always do this with toys bought from charity shops etc before putting them into use

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now