Talk

Advanced search

Value washing powder & dingy whites

(12 Posts)
roundabout1 Tue 30-Apr-13 11:45:58

I have been so pleased that Sainsburys value washing powder was getting rid of stains & is so cheap but recently I've noticed certain items looking a bit dingy & grey. I always wash whites on their own so its not from colour run so I'm guessing cheapo washing powder doesn't have brighteners in or something like that. We have great trouble finding a washing powder to suit us all so I was so happy to find that it didn't bring anyone out in a rash but as its biological kept the washing machine all spinky spanky. So is there anything I can add to it just for the whites wash to keep them bright?

PolterGoose Tue 30-Apr-13 22:00:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BeCool Tue 30-Apr-13 22:02:13

Have you tried soda crystals?

Showtime Tue 30-Apr-13 22:43:32

I add white vinegar to a white wash now and again, whatever soap I'm using.

PigletJohn Wed 01-May-13 12:59:49

Aldi Almat powder came very well out of Which tests.

KatyTheCleaningLady Wed 01-May-13 21:11:23

I use some sort of whitener sachets when I do whites. I only do them every ten days or so, so it is worthwhile.

roundabout1 Thu 02-May-13 20:21:50

Thanks everyone. I used to use Aldi's & it was great until about 6months ago, it wont dissolve in my machine well, it all clogs in the dispenser drawer, don't have the problem with the other powders I have tried. I used a whitening sachet on a white load yesterday & that brightened them up. I don't want to use them all the time though. I will try soda crystals or vinegar. Is it bicarb that is meant to be good too or did I make that up?

Wallison Thu 02-May-13 20:24:13

I have found, through trial and error, that the only thing that works is those whitening sachets. I get them a quid for five from our local shop so it doesn't work out too expensive. People always comment on how white my towels are (the rest of the house is a fucking tip but I have lovely white towels).

roundabout1 Thu 02-May-13 20:37:25

I love white towels, like you I'm very proud of my laundry but the rest of the house is a bombsite!

Wallison Thu 02-May-13 21:23:13

Haha roundabout it seems silly of me to set so much store by them when I have cobwebs collecting ( blush - yes really! - big ceilings that I can't reach without a massive ladder) but I guess I can kid myself that I'm doing an ok job as long as my towels are all sparkly clean!

PigletJohn Thu 02-May-13 22:46:49

If you get the clogged drawer problem, just tip the scoop into the back of the drum through the door.

When you take the drawer out to scrub it, use a toothbrush on the slot, especially the top surface. Some of the tiny water holes might be blocked.

PariahHairy Thu 02-May-13 22:51:49

I just bleach whites every now and again, they come out lovely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now