Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Dreadful sewage smell

(5 Posts)
Rolf Mon 29-Apr-13 14:01:32

is this too hard-core for Good Housekeeping?

We had a drains overflow yesterday. We tried to clear the blockage ourselves but after a few hours wading through sewage gave up and called out a man with a flexible hose, who flushed the blockage out, hosed down the path (it all happened along the side return of the house), and put bleach down. He told me we'd need to rinse it today, and re-disinfect it.

I've hosed it all down, and where the water has pooled, I've swept it into the drain. I've put down diluted jeyes fluid and done the same thing with that, and finally poured diluted jeyes fluid all over the path and left it for a bit. It is pooling to some extent but I'm going to leave it for a while before I rinse it off. Love jeyes fluid.

There's still a horrible smell. I've dealt with lots of horrible poo situations with my children, but this sewage smell has pushed me further than I can bear. I'm not even sure if the smell is still there or if it's just stuck in my nose.

I think part of the problem is that there are heavy objects along the side return, which we really need to move and clean the underneath of, but they are far too heavy for me to move on my own and DH is away until tomorrow night.

We have a pressure washer but I couldn't work out how to use it <feeble> and was just too grossed-out by the whole experience to focus on working out how.

After days of rain it's now gloriously sunny and it's warming up the path, and making the smell even worse. We have a mint plant at the bottom of the path and the lovely smell of mint is mixed with the smell of jeyes and sewage. I don't think we'll be using any mint from that plant this year.

Actually, reading that bleating stream of whiny consciousness, I think I just need some sympathy please grin

rainbowsprite1 Mon 29-Apr-13 14:40:26

I have dealt with collapsed drains - you dont want to know the details.... I have loads of sympathy for you. Even after our drains were sorted out for days after I was convinced I could smell stuff, my DH thought I was bonkers. Maybe smells can get stuck in your nose?? I dont know

Rolf Mon 29-Apr-13 15:55:48

Thanks rainbowsprite smile. Poor DH pulled out a sanitary towel <boak>. I never ever ever put them down the loo so now I'm looking at all my female visitors with suspicion. I've just showered and washed my hair and I won't venture out again until tomorrow as I don't want the smell in my nose again today.

specialsubject Mon 29-Apr-13 17:44:16

eewww. It probably won't be better until you can clean under the heavy objects.

make sure there is a bin in your bathroom if there isn't already. Nothing should be flushed except body wastes and toilet paper, but the manufacturers keep saying that sanitary products are flushable. You know better, but not everyone does.

Rolf Mon 29-Apr-13 17:48:35

I'm going to accompany all guests to the loo from now on wink. I'm going into town tomorrow to buy an extra bin.

I've just discovered a saucepan with the unspeakably distinctive smell of decaying chicken in it, so now the inside of the house smells as bad as the outside. I think I'm going to run away.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now