Talk

Advanced search

Getting white circles of wood furniture

(10 Posts)
Yika Sun 28-Apr-13 22:16:50

I had a couple of white rings on a teak shelving unit. I looked up various remedies on the internet and I've now tried:

- apply Vaseline then wipe off
- ironing out the stain (dry heat, medium setting, through a teatowel)
- ironing out the stain (steam heat, ditto, ditto)
- apply baking soda+water paste, wipe off

- vaseline didn't do much
- the first ironing didn't work either
- the second ironing looked as though it might be helping, but I steamed too hard without buffing up the wood as I went and now I've got a slight iron mark (slightly lighter than the surrounding wood, in an iron shape, though it's not massively obvious).
- white rings still there, though the vaseline covered them a bit
- then my last attempt was with the baking soda paste. It's made the whole area go a bit darker, so I have the lighter wood the size of the iron plate with a darker patch in the middle.

As I say they are not huge, ugly, obvious stains but I'd like to get them out! What next? I'm thinking fine-grained steel wool, any other tips?

Thanks in advance.

melomum Tue 30-Apr-13 13:03:57

Hi, try mixing full fat mayonaise with some ash - just burn a piece of paper and mix some of the black ash with the mayo. Wipe this on the white mark leave for 10 min or so then wipe off ! Not sure why it works but it does! Good luck

Frikadellen Tue 30-Apr-13 14:32:10

Brasso on a cloth and just gently rub..

Yika Tue 30-Apr-13 20:26:02

Thanks! I'm afraid that the mayo would leave a greasy mark, but I assume it doesn't!

melomum Tue 30-Apr-13 20:40:14

I did this ages ago when I got a mark on our coffee table , I remember that I also rubbed a bit of the mix across the whole table to make sure all was even, hth

andrews81 Tue 30-Apr-13 20:51:09

Ironing over grease proof paper is supposed to work - not tried it myself though smile

educatingarti Wed 01-May-13 11:57:16

I've heard you should try rubbing with a cut surface of Brazil nut! Could be wort ha try and won't make anything worse!

cahu Wed 01-May-13 22:15:02

I bought something from Lakeland specifically for this and it worked perfectly. linky

Yika Wed 01-May-13 22:51:12

Brilliant! Thanks!

I've actually ironed again and the ironing does work, I can now report. However, the steam has left a slight mark (lighter), so I'd only use dry heat next time.

brightwell Thu 02-May-13 06:18:53

I use a piece of walnut to get rid of water marks on rosewood furniture, works a treat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now