Talk

Advanced search

Toddler pee on sofa - fixed covers grrrrr aaargh

(6 Posts)
Wylye Fri 26-Apr-13 12:40:50

Any advice on the best way to clean up after a toddler pee incident?

Our sofa has fixed covers with a foam interior, and DS has peed on it a couple of times - his pee is fairly innocuous at the moment, but I'm sure that'll change eventually! The sofa is brand new, and I don't want it ruined before he's 2! (We have a throw over it but its not waterproof).

I usually just absorb the wetness with an old cloth then sponge it down with some water - today I used water with a bit of anti-bac spray-bottle liquid in it.

Any better ideas? Pretty please? smile

napkin Fri 26-Apr-13 20:23:18

When my dog used to do this I used to lay the sofa cushion on a sheet outside in the garden, mix washing powder in a bucket of hot water and poor half over one side of the cushion and turn over and do the same to the other side. Then hose each side down to rinse and leave in the sun to dry. Worked well as the wee had soaked in and all came out and smelt fresh.

Wylye Fri 26-Apr-13 20:51:14

Thank you for replying napkin!

Sadly the cushions aren't removable, they're fixed in place. sad

Today's mishap hasn't left a smell thank goodness. I think I have to get cracking making a waterproof loose cover. There will be a lot of swearing going on while I try to figure out how to do that... (Sofa has a flip-out platform as its a sofa bed too)

NumTumDeDum Fri 26-Apr-13 20:56:55

Get yourself either a vax or Bissel carpet cleaner. Both have attachments to clean upholstry. Will cost about £170 but far cheaper than a new sofa and will help with the inevitable accidents on the floor with pee or food.

Wylye Fri 26-Apr-13 21:24:33

That's a good plan Num, thanks! Hadn't thought of that yet - I might borrow my neighbour's one first tho.

Am now very very glad we went for dark grey instead of light grey fabric....

NumTumDeDum Fri 26-Apr-13 21:27:37

I bought a sofa with washable covers and felt all smug about it until I realised that I would be washing the damn things fortnightly. I should have got leather, it wipes clean. Ah well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now