Talk

Advanced search

Is there anything that will remove grease spots in the wash (without pre-treating)?

(16 Posts)
MyNameIsInigoMontoya Thu 25-Apr-13 15:54:17

Like it says really - DS's school sweatshirts are driving me mad, he's a very messy eater (we're working on it but it's taking a while, and I can't do much about his eating at school...) and at the moment I am having to either pre-treat his sweatshirts with washing-up liquid every single time, or risk them coming out of the wash still splodged with grease and needing to be treated and re-washed. It shows up really badly on that sweatshirt fabric too!

So, is there anything I can just stick in the machine that would help? I will end up getting THE RAGE with him otherwise, which doesn't really help matters (yes, I've tried it!). Thank you!

Longdistance Thu 25-Apr-13 15:56:38

I use Vanish spray. It gets all manner of stains out of clothes even my grease stains blush

I use a bit of washing up liquid on the stain first. Good luck.

BeCool Thu 25-Apr-13 16:27:18

I use washing up liquid too!

MyNameIsInigoMontoya Thu 25-Apr-13 16:32:18

Thanks all!

I have been using washing-up liquid, and it does work fairly well if I remember to use it and if I find all the marks, but I'm getting sick of having to individually rub it into EVERY single sweatshirt before washing! Also DH does some of the washing too, but would not bother to do that so then they come out still dirty. Hence looking for something we can just chuck in the machine instead.

I might try the Vanish spray though if there's nothing I can use in the machine, at least that would be a bit quicker and easier than having to wet them and rub in the washing-up stuff (and I might have more chance of persuading DH to use it).

DramaAndCrisis Thu 25-Apr-13 16:39:10

Surely the problem is temperature? If you don't want to pre-treat, you need to wash at 50 degrees or above, otherwise the grease won't melt. Or so I've always been led to believe.

Showtime Thu 25-Apr-13 16:59:18

I thought washing soda in powder or chunks was good for grease stains, and can't imagine it would damage anything else unless very fragile.

Runningblue Thu 25-Apr-13 17:04:16

Sorry if its been already but we find oxybleach good, put a scoop in the drawer with the washing liquid at the beginning of the wash.
Also, we have to wash dc's clothes at 60 degrees to help with their eczema skin, and use nonbio. As a happy aside, stains also do come out, including tomato, baby poo etc, without any need for oxybleach

Runningblue Thu 25-Apr-13 17:06:05

60 degrees is recommended to break down emollients (ie grease!) from the clothes amongst other things like dust mites etc, so try 60 as a. Trial with one shirt to check it doesnt shrink, then you might have your answer?!

MousyMouse Thu 25-Apr-13 20:05:04

a cup of soda crystals directly into the drum and wash at 40 at least.

Mintyy Thu 25-Apr-13 20:09:31

Crikey, is it really that onerous to rub a bit of Fairy liquid in? I'm still having to do that on ds's grass stained knees and he's coming up for 10!

Branleuse Thu 25-Apr-13 20:19:53

talcum powder on the grease stain, leave it a while, then wash in biological detergent.

works on old grease stains too

MyNameIsInigoMontoya Thu 25-Apr-13 20:54:23

Mm maybe I should try a hotter wash and/or washing soda, I've got some in the cupboard but didn't really think of it for grease!

Mintyy it's not that hard, no, and it wouldn't bother me as an occasional thing but it's just a bit maddening to have to do it for every single sweatshirt before every wash (and also DH always forgets, so then we have to rewash them). I'm just missing the days when "bunging a wash on" literally meant chuck it all in and go, rather than the extra faffing around beforehand when we're usually already in a rush!

I know the long-term solution is to get DS eating a bit less messily... but that is looking like a very longer-term thing at the moment sad DD is much less messy and she's only 3!

PigletJohn Thu 25-Apr-13 21:18:51

A best-buy powder and a hotter wash (if you normally wash cool) will probably do the trick. Aldi Almat is very good at a low price; we still use Persil non-bio out of habit, it used to be thought better for eczma though that might be an old-wives tale.

The washing liquids tend not to be as powerful as the powders, and powders are better at higher temps. Powders will fade colours faster though as they contain bleaching agents.

I just had a look on the "Which" website, the two best buy powders are (best first)

Aldi Almat with Stain-Lift Bio powder
score: 82% (10p a wash)

Ariel Bio powder with Actilift
score: 78% (30p a wash)

PigletJohn Thu 25-Apr-13 21:23:25

p.s.
Persil bio scored best for grease and whiteness, but not so good for make-up, blood, grass, mud so only scored 75%

None of the liquids scored more than 61%

MyNameIsInigoMontoya Sat 27-Apr-13 21:41:06

OK I have got some of the stain removing spray, and also going to give washing soda a try. Will see how that goes! If that doesn't work I'll try hotter washes, only we have quite a few things that don't like being washed hot so that would be extra work sorting them out. I'll probably try one of the recommended washing powders once this bottle's empty, thanks Piglet!

Thanks for all the tips everyone!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now