Talk

Advanced search

Manky baking trays

(7 Posts)
ItsAllTLAsToMe Thu 25-Apr-13 12:20:55

I have manky baking trays blush.

They were probably only cheap ones, so should I try to clean them, or should I buy new ones (< preferred option). If I buy new ones, is there a certain type that I should buy to prevent future mankiness? Or a better cleaning regime?

HazeltheMcWitch Thu 25-Apr-13 12:22:10

Oh you slattern! grin

What kind of mank?

ItsAllTLAsToMe Thu 25-Apr-13 12:24:10

Oh my. They've just gone a bit dis-coloured.

HazeltheMcWitch Thu 25-Apr-13 12:26:58

If it's rust, or the surface has come off/away, I'd honestly chuck.

If it's that brownish discolouration from when oil gets super hot, you could try soaking it in either: boiling water and lots of biological laundry powder, or boiling water and soda crystals dissolved in.

Soak for a while, then attack with a scourer/wire wool (depending on tray finish), and job's a good'un. Probably.

ItsAllTLAsToMe Thu 25-Apr-13 12:35:31

Ah, yes, it's that brownish discolouration. Thanks, I have soda crystals and a green scourer, I'll give it a bash.

(Although, are you sure that I shouldn't buy some handsome (enamel?) new ones?)

Tommy Thu 25-Apr-13 12:40:49

I've got a couple like that - I use reusable baking liner stuff on them if using them for cookies, scones etc.
However, a trip to Lakeland is always fun and you could put your old tins in the charity shop and then everyone benefits grin

nextphase Thu 25-Apr-13 12:58:29

If you go for the biological washing powder route (which works really well) don't use boiling water - 40 deg max. leave them over night, then put in the dishwasher, if you have.

I have a very nice telfon baking tray. Not sure where it came from as its a present.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now