Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

oven pride - can you use it on hob burner grills?

(4 Posts)
maggiethecat Wed 24-Apr-13 15:29:52

not sure if that's what you call the part that the pot sits on. Can oven pride clean this? if not, how do you clean yours (mine is very grimy)

Chippychop Wed 24-Apr-13 18:51:53

If its shiny/ silvery I would say NO. I put mine in and oven pride took all the silver coating offconfused I got a quote to replace and it was £200 eeek expensive mistake

PigletJohn Wed 24-Apr-13 20:42:38

pan rests

You haven't got a dishwasher to put them in?

They are usually enamelled cast iron, which is very durable. A green pan scourer and WUL should be enough, but it should stand up to a caustic cleaner.

If they are stainless, the same. Some chemicals can stain them which is hard work to polish off.

If they are aluminium alloy, definitely not, as it is likely to be badly corroded by the aggressive chemical. If a magnet won't stick to it, no.

maggiethecat Wed 24-Apr-13 21:25:21

Oops chippy, sorry you had to learn hard way.

Piglet, whatever it is that you do in RL, glad you find time to hang out on MN!

I thought of using professional cleaner but had borrowed a friend's steam cleaner to tackle other job and decided to have a go with oven glass door. It's not looking too bad so thought I might continue with oven pride or even oven mate for shelves, trays and pan rests (thank you ).

The rests are very heavy and dark (matt not shiny) and I wonder if they are cast iron? Really don't want to make expensive mistake. Will check if magnet sticks (but if they don't that could be just because of amount of grease!!!)

Paying £100 to do oven might not be a bad thing after all!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now