Talk

Advanced search

Splatters requires floor cleaning advice please

(11 Posts)
Judyandherdreamofhorses Mon 22-Apr-13 13:43:54

Simple and boring question.

How do you clean your floors? What do you actually do, and with what equipment? I feel like I'm just swishing wet dirt around.

Have newly crawling baby. And a 3 year old with white socks. No longer white...

Judyandherdreamofhorses Mon 22-Apr-13 13:48:47

Splatters?! I typed 'slattern'.

Forgetfulmog Mon 22-Apr-13 13:52:25

Well Hoover first & then use some all purpose cleaner (I use Ecover) with some Milton in the bucket too. When you finish mopping, rinse the mop & bucket out with boiling water & that'll keep it nice & clean for next time.

I use a rule that I'm never going to have a spotless house, but as long as everything has been cleaned then its clean dirt IYSWIM. or maybe I'm just a slattern

Judyandherdreamofhorses Mon 22-Apr-13 13:53:52

Thanks. I forgot to say I have the world's muddiest dog too...

That's pretty much what I do. I ought to try to do more frequent hoovering though.

anchovies Mon 22-Apr-13 13:58:55

I have 3 dcs and 2 labradors and a generally filthy house... I hoover every day and have a rechargeable electric sweeper thing that goes round quickly in between if the house is particularly hairy! I mop properly with a mop and bucket (not often enough!) and use a spray mop in between to clean up dog prints or anything obvious. Can I recommend Method floor cleaner because even if the place is still a big mess it at least smells nice!

Forgetfulmog Mon 22-Apr-13 14:01:19

Yy to Method - their wooden flour cleaner smells like marzipan!

Forgetfulmog Mon 22-Apr-13 14:01:36

*floor!

OneMoreThenNoMore Mon 22-Apr-13 14:03:36

I Hoover or sweep the floor first, then use a floor spray (dettol, usually) with a dry mop- one of those wide, flat ones, not a proper mop iyswim! The mop head goes in the washing machine after a couple of uses.

I have two toddlers, a dog and two cats (as well as messy dh), so the floors need doing every couple of days too lazy to do it daily and I've found that this is the quickest and most effective way. I used to use a normal mop and bucket but like you, I felt that I was just swishing dirty water all over.

OneMoreThenNoMore Mon 22-Apr-13 14:05:00

Mmm, marzipan floor cleaner sounds good, will have to look out for some! smile

anchovies Mon 22-Apr-13 14:08:29

John Lewis, Waitrose and big Tescos sell it I've found. It really does smell yummy! I put it in one of these spray mops so I can have a quick mop if I know someone is coming round! Have bought loads of the microfibre heads so can use each one until dirty then throw them in the wash.

OneMoreThenNoMore Mon 22-Apr-13 14:16:27

Oooh, that's like my mop but mine doesn't have the clever spray bit. Might have to invest in one of those too... grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now