Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How can I keep my house smelling fresh?

(15 Posts)
Mrsambition Sun 21-Apr-13 20:26:04

I really want a fresh long lasting smell in the house but cant seem to find a solution. Ive tried plug ins, candles & shake & vac. We don't smoke, we don't eat in any other room other than the kitchen. Tips appreciated!!

Gorja Sun 21-Apr-13 20:27:07

Lily flower reed diffusers, they are great.

expatinscotland Sun 21-Apr-13 20:27:30

Open the windows.

VerySmallSqueak Sun 21-Apr-13 20:29:03

Open the windows!

Try some nice flowers when it's the right time of year.
Daffs smell lovely just now.
Hyacinths earlier on etc etc.

SquinkiesRule Mon 22-Apr-13 16:51:01

I've had teen boys so long that now they are gone the smell is still there. sad I've been opening up the house a lot, sure to vacuum frequently and mopping the kitchen floor always gives the place a nice fresh clean smell.
The new carpets went in and we painted their old room and so far fingers crossed the smell seems to have left.

PolterGoose Mon 22-Apr-13 16:53:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MinimalistMommi Mon 22-Apr-13 17:55:20

Wash any fabric regularly, throws, blankets, curtains. Fabrics around the house can really pick up, and retain odours. Even top blankets used on beds etc, used on top of quilts can smell sweaty pretty quickly etc.

MinimalistMommi Mon 22-Apr-13 17:57:24

When you open a window, try and get a draft, opening several windows at one to really circulate fresh air.

Mrsambition Tue 23-Apr-13 16:57:20

Thanks everyone.

Can I just say that we are very obsessively clean tidy household & open windows regularly. The house has no smell!! I want it to have one, a nice fresh long lasting one... Could be pregnancy hormones but I crave the smell of washing powder. Hence the reason I've asked for long lasting, just can't seem to find the solution. Husband bought me some lovely flowers today so I think I'll stick with that for now smile

VerySmallSqueak Tue 23-Apr-13 17:04:19

Some people put fabric softener sheets behind radiators I think or essential oils on light bulbs/doorframes.

specialsubject Tue 23-Apr-13 17:59:46

no smell is good, as are flowers.

all the plug ins etc are just nasty artificial fragrances, most of which reek as badly as perfume. Enjoy the lack of pollutants!

LadyMountbatten Tue 23-Apr-13 18:00:02

CLean it

HorryIsUpduffed Tue 23-Apr-13 18:25:28

A few drops of essential oil that you like, on a clean hanky or flannel, on the radiator. Subtle.

Or use a splodge of fabric conditioner on said flannel on said radiator, if that's the smell you like.

PigletJohn Tue 23-Apr-13 21:25:50

if you like the smell of washing powder, buy three different kinds, and three different flavours of fabsoft.

If you only ever use one, your snout will get acclimatised and you won't be able to smell it.

PigletJohn Tue 23-Apr-13 21:26:40

(and use them in rotation) I meant to say.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now