Talk

Advanced search

Where can I buy a decent white toilet seat?

(12 Posts)
margaritathatcher Sun 21-Apr-13 09:19:01

Need to replace the toilet seat in our bathroom which is looking a bit manky.

Where can I buy a decent one? Standard shape but needs to be white. Don't mind spending a little more if it is decent quality and will last.

Sorry, another exciting topic!!!

cece Sun 21-Apr-13 09:22:27

Plumbers merchants. I recommend you get a soft close one.

margaritathatcher Sun 21-Apr-13 15:01:51

Oh dear, no one else? sad

Mum2Fergus Sun 21-Apr-13 15:41:16

I just got white soft close seat from B&Q...most impressed.

Showtime Sun 21-Apr-13 16:46:30

Had problems with these recently - suggest you check fittings which attach to pottery base are metal with washers and not plastic-type, and check that diagrams/instructions are actually useful - ordinary, not-soft-close-type from B&Q (own-brand?Lewis&Cooke-or-similar-name) was not impressive.

PigletJohn Sun 21-Apr-13 18:00:57

you can probably get one of the heavyweight solid plastic ones as used on better brands of WC from a place that sells bathrooms.

Aftermarket ones are usually either thin plastic, or laquered MDF.

Go for stainless hinges, not plastic, and not chrome.

I usually get the lacquered MDF ones, but they won't last as long.

CointreauVersial Sun 21-Apr-13 18:06:07

The lacquered MDF ones never seem to last, and eventually water (and other fluids...) get under the lacquer, and it has to go.

I bought a nice one recently from B&Q that was designed to be easy to clean - no bumps and crevices on the underside of the seat, made of quite a heavy-weight plastic and neat stainless steel hinges. Soft close too.

margaritathatcher Wed 24-Apr-13 06:59:24

Thanks all

Have bought a soft close, easy clean, non-scratch with metal fittings from B&Q for £45. It looks promising. Just need DH to fit it...

CointreauVersial Wed 24-Apr-13 17:57:52

Hope you will soon be sitting comfortably!

member Wed 24-Apr-13 18:04:10

I like the Ikea ones which are less than £10! They are heavyish duty. the nuts/wingnuts for attaching are plastic but last & the seat easily adjusts to the perfect alignment before you tighten said wingnuts.

LargeGlassofRed Wed 24-Apr-13 18:06:31

eBay have some great soft close white ones, much cheaper than B and Q.

specialmagiclady Wed 24-Apr-13 20:19:52

My 6 year old just brought one in off the street- you can have it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now