Talk

Advanced search

Logically, how many mops?

(14 Posts)
oinkment Fri 19-Apr-13 16:24:39

Assuming the whole house is tile or moppable floor (no carpets).

Is hygienic to be mopping the kitchen floor with the same mop that does the bathroom? I have a 1yr old who eats things she finds on the kitchen floor and a 5yr old who wees on the bathroom floor.

So 2 mops then - one bathroom and one kitchen?

But which mop to use in the bedrooms? And the livingroom? The hall where the dog sleeps? The front steps?

Three mops and three buckets (one bathroom, one kitchen, one 'other') seems excessive and, well, a bit mad.

I promise you I am actually giving this serious thought .

PigletJohn Fri 19-Apr-13 17:41:20

hall and front steps will be especially dirty so can have their own.

buzzielizzie Fri 19-Apr-13 18:08:05

E-cloth (and probably other makes too) do a mop set where the mop "heads" just Velcro on so they come off easily for machine washing. You could get extra mop heads and change them for the different areas, maybe?

erowid Fri 19-Apr-13 18:08:05

We have 1 mop handle, 1 bucket and about 6 string mop heads and change the mop heads when mopping different rooms. They're also colour coded so not to get confused when swapping them about.

MomsNetCurtains Fri 19-Apr-13 18:14:21

I promise you I am actually giving this serious thought.

Hahahaha!!!

I have a separate one for the bathroom and the other does the rest. I just use Domestos in the water so it is disinfected.

WTFisABooyhoo Fri 19-Apr-13 18:19:32

i have 6 mop heads. (only 1 mop handle though)

i use one for front hall and living room, one for bathroom and one for kitchen.

i know i dont have to use a separate one for the bathroom but by the time ive done the hall and living room the mop is too dirty for me to actually be cleaning the floor with even with rinsing so i just put a clean head on.

they all get washed in the machine at 60 after each use.

WTFisABooyhoo Fri 19-Apr-13 18:22:15

"i know i dont have to use a separate one for the bathroom"

should clarify. i mean i know i dont have to have a separate one for bathroom than i used for living room as LR doesn't tend to have urine or faeces on the floor and i dont tend to make food in the bathroom. grin

wendybird77 Fri 19-Apr-13 19:34:56

Get a steamer instead and change the pads? It will clean better than a mop.

KatyTheCleaningLady Fri 19-Apr-13 21:23:32

I use string mop heads on a basic wooden handle because they're cheap and easy to wash. I use a clean one for each client house, but the same bucket. I use zoflora in the water for disinfection and to make the house smell nice. I mop the bathroom last for hygiene reasons.

oinkment Sat 20-Apr-13 04:37:34

Oh wow. I really thought I might be laughed at for wondering about this, but instead I am finding fellow loons with 6 mop heads!

What's the logic of 6 mop heads if you're using the same bucket for poo rooms and food rooms?

And STEAMER!! Hadn't thought about that! I really want one now. For the kitchen maybe?!

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Sat 20-Apr-13 04:44:23

One steam mop and two pads. My life was revolutionised, it is so much quicker and easier.

KatyTheCleaningLady Sat 20-Apr-13 05:20:32

The bucket is easy to rinse out, if that's what you mean. I rinse the bucket when I empty it, and the bathroom is done last. And disinfectant is added to the mop water. So, I don't think I'm spreading poo around.

Not with the mop, at least. I am sure we track it around on our shoes all the time. wink

WTFisABooyhoo Sat 20-Apr-13 15:10:28

the same bucket is ok because it gets emptied, rinsed and then fresh disenfectant and boiling water for each room. i do the kitchen first aswell just because i think that's how it should be done.

i really want a steam mop though. they look great on the ads.

does anyone know of a great one that isn't as expensive as the ones on tv?

AdoraBell Sat 20-Apr-13 23:49:57

I have one for inside and one for outside, clean them with hot water and disinfectant so the mop itself is clean when I need it. I can't see that you'd need a seperate one for the kitchen or bathroom, maybe that's just me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now