Talk

Advanced search

How do I clean the ceiling of my conservatory??

(4 Posts)
IWillOnlyEatBeans Wed 17-Apr-13 08:48:02

Hi

We have moved into a rented property with a conservatory. It has a glass (plastic?!) pitched roof, with plastic 'beams' running up it.

Some of the beams have got spots of black mould on them and for the life of me I can't figure out how to clean it off! Even on our step ladders I'm not tall enough to reach the top of the pitch (if that makes sense).

Is there some kind of cleaning device I can use? We don't have loads in the bank so I can't justify anything too expensive!

Thanks!

redandwhitesprinkles Fri 19-Apr-13 23:15:01

Damp cloth, elastic band, broom handle

IWillOnlyEatBeans Sat 20-Apr-13 09:53:21

...and another good reason not to get a conservatory when we finally buy our own place!

PigletJohn Sat 20-Apr-13 11:45:51

those are probably mildew spots from damp caused by condensation. Conservatory roofs are very cold as they are much less insulated than modern houses. Improving ventilation, and especially avoiding excess moisture, will reduce recurrence. Sponging with bleach will kill it. Once dead, it cleans off easily.

There is probably an anti-UV coating on the plastic, so don't use anything abrasive.

The "pad on a broom handle" is a good idea, but don't let it drip on you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now