Talk

Advanced search

Please explain rotary washing lines and recommend one

(2 Posts)
krisskross Mon 15-Apr-13 21:47:39

just had a quick look and there seems to be a vast array of them-top spinners, not top spinners, into concrete, not into concrete. .......some are about 50 quid up to about 200!!! this seems v complicated!

can it go into a hole in the grass? do we need to shove something in first? can anyone recommend a model? the john lewis ones get pretty crap reviews.

Thanks!

unlucky83 Tue 16-Apr-13 20:07:22

You can get spikes that stick in the soil -but in my experience pretty rubbish (fall over) especially if you get a longer length/bigger four arm one with lots of washing on.
In the past I made concrete and put it in an old bucket and stuck the (plastic) ground spike in, sticking half an inch out of top of concrete. When it was set I dug a big hole in garden, cut the bucket off and dropped concrete it in there...worked great.
Second time I did this - did the same thing except used postcrete - the stuff you just pour water on -don't pre-mix, had never used before ...wasn't really enough in bucket and I should have added more but didn't bother. Put it in the ground anyway but when really windy it pulled the whole block out ... Neighbour (helping me!) dug a really huge hole and we poued mixed concrete in and put ground spike in...and it has never moved (but if you ever wanted to get rid of it you'd need a pile driver!)

For all of them - you leave spike out of concrete a bit cos when you bury it you cover top of block with soil and grass seed/or turf -so pole goes into the soil a tiny bit (might rust here) before going into ground spike so you can lift it out to mow/to look better...if you are doing it onto concrete/patio you could make it level with the top or lower and fit paving stones over top (but need to cut a hole in slabs -a PIA
You want to be able to remove it - if you use metal and metal and don't lift it out it could rust together over time - then if you need to replace the rotary washing line you will need to cut it off and drill out the hole -

I'd get a cover too - if you leave them up too tempting for DCs to play with - my DC broke the line on mine and a neighbours DC pulled the whole thing on top of her by swinging on them. If you leave them collapsed without a cover the lines can get tangled but worse they are a strangulation hazard for children...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now