Talk

Advanced search

so I've got central heating and I feel fine

(9 Posts)
mizu Sun 14-Apr-13 20:17:46

We have had 5 and half years of freezing our arses off in our rented accommodation and have had central heating fitted this last week. Wow! It is fantastic!

My question is, what is the normal temperature for the house to be? It is about 18 degrees at the moment and feels really warm. Should it be less than this or does it depend on the weather outside? Sorry if this sounds stupid.

dimsum123 Sun 14-Apr-13 20:19:25

Whatever you feel comfy with!

onepieceoflollipop Sun 14-Apr-13 20:22:26

I feel warm at around 17/18 degrees. However for a lot of my life I have lived in non centrally heated places so I don't tend to feel the cold.
Most people I think seem to find 20 ish or even higher more comfortable. I am often hot in hotels and when visiting people.
Also check your room thermostat is accurate, ours isn't and when it says 15 it is more like 21. I have a separate thermometer that is more accurate.

mizu Sun 14-Apr-13 20:29:40

Thanks both, yes lollipop, we feel really warm cos we are so unused to it. Have turned the radiators right down in the bedrooms as they felt uncomfortably hot yesterday.

susiedaisy Sun 14-Apr-13 20:36:06

20 works well in our house, gosh I bet you feel so cosy and warm nowsmile

onepieceoflollipop Sun 14-Apr-13 20:42:31

Sometimes I forget to put the heating on for visitors and then notice them huddled up. Don't have it on much if I am home alone in the day and temp is 15 or more.

onepieceoflollipop Sun 14-Apr-13 20:43:49

You are going to love having your towels aired nicely. smile one bad thing I found with no central heating was cold dampish towels!

mizu Sun 14-Apr-13 20:48:50

It is amazing.

My youngest DD keeps touching the towel in the bathroom (which was the coldest room in the house) and telling us how warm and dry it is smile

It has made the house feel more like a home that's for sure. Bring on next winter!

PigletJohn Mon 15-Apr-13 00:36:24

18C is fine. People tend to get acclimatised to heat, and gradually turn it higher and higher, which will cost more. You might prefer the living room a bit warmer in the evening than the rest of the house.

If you have TRVs, adjust them all, slowly, until you have found the right setting for each room.

the room with the wall stat should have no TRV or, if there is one, it should be turned to max or it will compete with the wall stat.

Beware of draping wet washing around your home or over radiators as it is the most common cause of condensaqtion, damp and mould.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now