Talk

Advanced search

If your tumble dryer has died and washing machine is working

(20 Posts)
Icedcakeandflower Sun 14-Apr-13 10:07:54

Could you help me decide please <best polite and hopeful voice>

1) would you buy a new tumble dryer and hope the washing machine keeps going, to be replaced later

2) buy a new washer-dryer

3) buy a tumble dryer and washing machine now

The John Lewis dryer has died after 6 years, but the Bosch washing machine is still going after 10 years. I've been getting strangely excited about A Energy Rated machines from Miele blush, but the prices are ££££££££.

Maximum budget £800.

I have heard that washer dryers are terrible.

I would buy a new tumble and replace washer when it breaks.

PigletJohn Sun 14-Apr-13 10:11:35

Don't buy a combined washer-dryer.

They are less reliable, more expensive, and not so good at washing or drying.

BikeRunSki Sun 14-Apr-13 10:13:25

I'd get a new dryer now, and replace washing machine as required. Washer dryers are awful and don't do either job very well.

Icedcakeandflower Sun 14-Apr-13 10:18:21

OK that's unanimous then grin.

That means I can splash out on a £££ tumble dryer and hope the washing machine doesn't give up on me shortly after.

thanks

louiespence Sun 14-Apr-13 10:21:39

Yes, definitely don't go for a washer-dryer, I had one it was terrible!

BarbaraWoodlouse Sun 14-Apr-13 10:23:16

1) from me too.

DontCallMeBaby Sun 14-Apr-13 10:23:40

Nah, basic but decent dryer, and the rest in the washer fund in case the washer DOES conk out soon. Rather impressively, our White Knight dryer is still going (albeit with only one temperature instead of two) while the Bosch washer died last year - both bought in late 2001. And flashy washers are more exciting than flashy dryers, eleventy-one different programmes, and timers, and (really annoying) beeps ...

LouLouH Sun 14-Apr-13 10:24:51

Definite no no to washer-dryer. Seperate all the way.

waikikamookau Sun 14-Apr-13 10:25:15

I have no room for anything apart from a washer dryer. but that is irrelevant

notcitrus Sun 14-Apr-13 10:51:23

Washer-dryers are crap. We have one next door in the flat we rent out as there's no space for another dryer, and have had to replace I think 3 times in 7 years. Washers or dryers should last a good decade with luck.

Sokmonsta Sun 14-Apr-13 11:35:08

Do not buy a washer dryer unless you really don't have the room! The dryer on ours packed up over the winter. About a month ago, the washer finally went. We now have separates and it is so much better. I can wash and dry at the same time! With a household of 6 though we seem to generate a lot of washing.

Startail Sun 14-Apr-13 11:43:44

Ive had two washer driers (I don't have space for a drier), I hated both of them, I now have just a lovely big drummed JL washer and accept cloth horses full of socks.

I never used the combined drier for big stuff it just creased everything.

Icedcakeandflower Sun 14-Apr-13 12:11:53

More replies thanks thanks thanks

It's unanimous, and that really helps!

specialsubject Sun 14-Apr-13 12:14:39

It looks like winter is finally over. If you have outside space, don't replace the drier just yet and see how you get on.

usually some available second-hand on ebay.

VerySmallSqueak Sun 14-Apr-13 12:15:37

The better weather should be coming for a couple of days before we are plunged into deepest Winter again.

Can you hold off if there is anywhere to line dry washing.

And spend the money on something more fun instead

Then you have longer to decide.

IDontDoIroning Sun 14-Apr-13 12:22:29

Another no vote for washer drier.
Summer is coming can you avoid getting a drier just yet.
If not I would get a basic one.

Melpomene Sun 14-Apr-13 12:26:08

Just buy a drier if your washing machine is still working.

We have a washer drier because that's all we've got room for. It has served us pretty well for 10 years (with several minor repairs) but it lately developed a strange intermittent leak which baffled the repairman.

2cats2many Sun 14-Apr-13 12:29:07

I didn't replace my drier after it broke a year and a half ago and haven't missed it at all. Honestly. I just dry stuff in the spare room when the weather is cold/ wet and dry in the garden on days like today. Its made a massive difference to my leccy bill.

Icedcakeandflower Sun 14-Apr-13 13:33:53

thanks

My drier has been bust for around a fortnight and I've been drying on radiators/airers. However I'm really struggling to dry bedding.

I'm not a fan of drying on the outside line although I've got one - a combination of changing weather/various bugs that seem to commit hara-kiri grin as there's quite a bit of nearby foliage. I do use my conservatory and various exercise equipment for drying though!!!

Will investigate basic dryers and save for 1001-programme washer later, as that's a good idea!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now