Talk

Advanced search

Getting "fat/oil" stain out of clothes

(13 Posts)
BeaLola Sat 13-Apr-13 11:40:51

Lovely DH cooks without apron & I now have a couple of polo shirts & a merino blend jumper with sort of fat stain on them iykwim ? I have tried vanish but no joy - any other remedies /ideas welcome. Thank you.

YoniBottsBumgina Sat 13-Apr-13 11:46:28

Washing up liquid sometimes works.

RoomForASmallOne Sat 13-Apr-13 11:49:12

Place brown paper or baking paper over the stains and run a warm iron over it.

Will soak up some of the oil.

EffieTheDuck Sat 13-Apr-13 11:50:34

I had a lovely white cotton dress which someone used to mop up a diesel spill. hmm
It took ^forever* but I found that neat Fairy liquid then several washes at 50o wash with bio washing powder eventually shifted the stains and grease.

Am not so sure about the wool but perhaps someone else knows how to remove fat/oil from your jumper.

ggirl Sat 13-Apr-13 11:50:35

Have you tried soda crystals , I noticed on the packet it is good for greasy stains but I haven't tried it yet.

PigletJohn Sat 13-Apr-13 14:49:22

merino jumper? Buy him a white chef's jacket.

GlaikitFizzog Sat 13-Apr-13 14:53:16

Douse the stain on the jumper while dry in talc. Leave overnight and it should have absorbed the grease. This worked on a silk dress I had and saved it.

HorryIsUpduffed Sat 13-Apr-13 14:55:56

Swarfega is designed to cut grease - it is terrifyingly green but completely disappears in the wash, taking greasy, oily, muddy or grassy (also an oil) stains with it.

prettybird Sat 13-Apr-13 14:56:59

Sounds like you have already put some water on it.

I had a good dry cleaner once (unfortunately no longer there) who told me not to touch a grease stain with water but get it straight to the dry cleaners as the dry cleaning process was good for grease.

He wasn't outing for business as the same guy also advised me that I was find to wash my silk clothes at home (actually said it was better for them) and just said to bring them in occasionally because his ironing was better! grin

BeaLola Wed 17-Apr-13 13:37:50

Thanks for sugestions - will let you know how I get on - have stopped moaning to DH about it :-)

toodles Wed 17-Apr-13 13:43:39

This happens to me all the time. I usually find the stains after the first wash. I put it straight back into the next wash. Don't iron. Around 3 washes will take the stain out I find (bio washing powder though).

7to25 Wed 17-Apr-13 16:56:17

De-solv-it, a small spray with a blue cap, works well with grease stains. It is the only thing I have ever found to work.

gobbin Wed 17-Apr-13 21:33:19

WD40 and washed through twice in bio washing powder/liquid

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now