Talk

Advanced search

Chores for a 7 and 5 year old

(9 Posts)
mixedmamameansbusiness Sat 13-Apr-13 09:41:24

I have three boys and DH and feel like the house is becoming a bit of a me me me job and I don't want to bring up boys who can't do anything and expect their mum or a partner to do everything so want to give them a couple of regular chores that will actually help rather than hinder.

DH hoovers and always cooks on his days off.

Currently thinking,

Make beds
Ds1 wiping up and putting away
Ds2 laying and clearing the table
Tidying playroom
Putti g washed clothes away

This is not too much is it and is there anything else that should be on the list.

ILikeToClean Sat 13-Apr-13 10:48:11

Well done on trying to raise boys who can do chores! I think at that age make beds, keep their rooms and playroom tidy, lay and clear table. My DDs are 10 and 8 and they do this plus hoovering occasionally, I don't trust them to put their washing away as I think they would shove it in and it would get creased, quite anal about putting clean undies etc at the bottom of the drawer etc so the same things are not constantly worn so I do that! But think the point is to let them do chores, even if they don't do their beds etc as well as you would, it gives them responsibility and makes them realise it doesn't all happen by magic! HTH.

ILikeToClean Sat 13-Apr-13 10:49:14

Oh they also wash and dry up!

mixedmamameansbusiness Sat 13-Apr-13 13:27:00

That sounds reasonable.

I am pretty rubbish at most things domestic so frankly they might make their beds better than I do!

They both beg to help wash up, but it feels like they make it harder so for the moment we will stick with those.

Celestia Sat 13-Apr-13 15:36:49

My dd likes wiping the skirting boards every month or so. That's good because it's a job I loathe grin.

ILikeToClean Sat 13-Apr-13 17:02:11

Ooh might have to get mine to do that grin!

DTisMYdoctor Sat 13-Apr-13 18:25:09

DS (nearly 5) helps me sort the washing. It takes 3 times as long but I think it's a useful life skill that DH doesn't have wink He also helps sort recycling and loves a bit of dusting!

BlueChampagne Tue 16-Apr-13 15:21:07

DS1 (5.6) cleans the toilets (I open and close the toilet cleaner).

DewDr0p Tue 16-Apr-13 17:43:46

We don't have a set routine for chores but they help with all of the following sometimes:

- setting the table and clearing away
- making breakfast/sandwiches & beans on toast
- tidying their rooms/playroom (always their job)
- sorting clean socks into pairs
- putting socks and pants away
- putting their own dirty stuff in the wash and folding anything clean enough to be worn again (always their job)
- dusting and sometimes hoovering (although I usually have to go over that lol)

They are 8, 6 and 5. Only the 8 yo does beans atm.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now